1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Data handling- help! (Spreadsheet, database)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vimesey, 27 Nov 2012.

1. Vimesey

Vimesey What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

Got a pretty standard spreadsheet, but it's large enough that doing the following manually is very time intensive;

I need to be able to group the entries by a particular category, and apply totals to those groups. Preferably to be able to sort those groups by their totals, and have it in a presentable manner.

The closest I've gotten is putting the data into OO Base, and using their report function it makes a smart looking table, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to apply totals to the group.

Any ideas? It's really important for work and I'm sure there must be a way to do this fairly easily.

Cheers, thanks in advance.

2. mike_dowler

mike_dowler What's a Dremel?

I think you need a pivot table. I'm not familiar enough with them myself to explain exactly what you need to do, but Wikipedia looks like a good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I agree that a pivot table sounds like what you need,

If you keep adding a lot of data to this it might be worth converting it to a database in the long term

4. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Pivot table is the one to use :thumb:

Relatively easy and very quick once you get the hang of them.