1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Can anyone suggest a suitable office chair for gaming?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wiLLSY, 10 Jul 2013.

1. wiLLSY

wiLLSY Are you a wizard?

I'm not sure if this is in the right section but it seemed the most appropriate. Anyway, I'm looking for any recommendations for a comfortable office chair that would be suitable for long periods of gaming, something high end preferably.
    I suppose some might suggest to just go and try out some chairs to get a real feel for them, but in any case are there any brands/types of chairs I should avoid?

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Ikea Markus chair. The mesh back makes such a difference in heated gaming sessions.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2013
  3. droyden

droyden What's a Dremel?

We actually have those Ikea chairs at work, although I think they were purchased for look and price point more than anything else. I dont have any issues with mine, the arms are detachable (alan key). I know some larger people at work have worn them down faster (the "leather"), but generally they are pretty good.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

5. wiLLSY

wiLLSY Are you a wizard?

Any other suggestions?

6. mikeyandrewb

mikeyandrewb What's a Dremel?

The Steelcase Leap is supposed to be a good chair. I don't have one myself, but people have recommended it, and it's about £150 on ebay. It appears that they are quite expensive and hard to get hold of new, but there are quite a few second hand ones. While it doesn't have a mesh back, the fabric at the back doesn't get too sweaty apparently.
    http://www.steelcase.co.uk/en/products/category/seating/task/leap/pages/overview.aspx

Also, review here.
    http://www.smartfurniture.com/products/Leap-Chair/review.html

And chair science/review.
    http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-office-chair-is-the-steelcase-leap/

7. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I'm glad to see this thread as I am also considering getting a couple of new gaming chairs.

My friend recommends this one

8. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Herman Miller Aeron?

9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I was about to look for two chairs when moving to new place. Thanks for the tip. I like the red says orange one. Maybe I buy two no? :D

Bit extreme for the other one though... $800 wah???

Looks like it is from another world....

10. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

It may look a bit crazy but its VERY comfortable, supportive and the mesh is quite cooling.

We have a them upstairs in our office, and when it gets hot (like now) I go upstairs and nab one from the meeting room, to prevent the warming effect that my leather chain has on my reproductive organs.

11. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

I was in your same situation. I got a steelcase leap v2. I was very happy with it and its great. Can be had refurbed on ebay for around £200 ish.

Iain

12. AthlonAl

AthlonAl What's a Dremel?

I use a chair that 'came' from work, I have used it for years - love it - but a couple of weeks ago it broke (weld at top of gas strut tube)
    Anyway tried out loads of chairs and found them so different it was untrue, couldn't find one that I liked!
    Pulled my old chair apart and had it all welded up and repainted it.
    Motto, if you find a comfy one - hang onto it!

Good Luck

Alan

13. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

As you intend to spend long periods in the chair make sure it's suitable to the desk your using, by that I mean you can adjust the seat height and just as importantly the arm height so that you can achieve the correct posture, a lot of computer chairs don't have adjustable arms.

I bought a so called computer desk which is really just an office desk and it was too high to set my chair up properly to the desk height so check your desk height and make sure the chair arms will go to at least that height (many chair adverts give the seat and arm heights) if you sit in a chair for a while and notice aches and pains when you get out of it then your posture is wrong.

If your not familiar with the correct posture here's a video

you might think this is all a bit overkill but I have used some crap chairs but set them up for correct posture and after many years of gaming I don't have any RSI induced problems caused by bad posture, plenty of other problems but no RSI related :rolleyes:

14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

We have these in work. Stupidly comfortable, adjustable in every way and extremely hard wearing. Could you justify the price tag for home use though? Think they cost us upwards of £800 per chair when we got them through a contract quite a few years ago. That said, not one of them has broken in over 5 years. Even the foam covered armrests haven't perished or cracked.

15. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder

You can pick up refurbished Aerons on Ebay for £200-300 if you want to go that route. I couldn't justify that kind of money on something I hadn't sat on. I ended up buying this chair in the end:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007IS0D1S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's pretty comfortable (I work from home as well) although the arm rests and back aren't adjustable, but then it's £60 so you pays your money, etc.