1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Square Enix closes Shinra cloud-gaming arm

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Jan 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

I'll never understand how any company could have thought that cloud gaming would take off. We don't have the speed on our home internet here in the US and mobile companies still rape us on data costs.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not only that but playing games with a cloud is no fun, you get very wet. :D

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Short of some kind of quantum entanglement connection that's truly instantaneous cloud gaming will never take off. Even with the fastest connections available now you're still looking at input delays of several frames, which most players find completely unacceptable.

5. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

I don't know, I tried a service a little while back in the UK (cant remember which one) and was surprised at how good it was even though I was only on 13Mbps.

However the problems are simple, the equipment needed in the server farm was hugely expensive and the subscription cost needed to be low otherwise you may as well just buy the games yourself. The one I tried also had a pretty low selection of titles and hardly any AAA ones at all. If I can just buy the game for £7.99 in a Steam sale then why pay £14.99 for a subscription?