1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Hardware 8 - Many CPUs, Dream PCs and mobile gaming

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 5 Nov 2009.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

Yes! It's here!
    I love this podcast. x)

P.S. I really hope next Gaming podcast will have a lot of borderlands in it. Best game of the year!

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

agree to everything!

24" monitor "is FINE"?? look at Apple iMac 27inch and tell me 24inch is fine!

a PC that's sleek, minimalistic, and very quiet: i think you just described my PC :)

lol, agree with gaming laptops part: they are completely USELESS!
    [rant] they are not even half as fast, for more than twice the price. it's hot, it's heavy and it's a brick! desktop PC are the only real good gaming machines. laptops will NEVER become a good gaming platform, considering the weight and heat. only when a netbook sized laptop drive a 24inch screen running the latest game at maximum frame rates, it also has to be able to upgrade graphics component easily. and as light as netbook nowadays [/rant]

i was given the impression during the podcast that i7 lynnfied have an extra memory multiplier above i5's?? does that mean it's able to do 1600Mhz at stock speed? i5 750 can do 6x/8x/10x. can the i7 lynnfield do 12x?

Atom is respectable, not that bad, able to do simple spreadsheet and view videos, enough for portable uses.

in the end, i somehow prefer the hardware podcast, not sure either because i can connect with more of it's stuff or it's less grumpy.

4. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Hmmm the fact I have been playing L4D2 and borderlands maxed out on my £900 Advent 6555 last night means I have to disagree with you.

I can game on it whereever I want to in the house or plug it into a keyboard/mouse & monitor for a psuedo desktop setup as well. To boot, it also uses considerably less power than my desktop pc as well (although given thats a overclocked i7 / GTX260 SLI setup, thats a given...).

I will agree though, spending 2k+ on a relatively underpowered Gaming laptop (which run the Nvidia GPUS) is madness, this is why I spend well under 1k and got the same experience (Quad core / HD4850m Cheesecake!!).

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes.

Apple 27" is a TN panel afaik.

6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

listening to this now i feel you failed to mention the lawsuits when discussing the A64 market share against P4 and how much of an effect that had on the fact that A64 didnt take as much as it should have

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Apple iMac 27inch is "27"WS LG.Display IPS (LM270WQ1)" according to tftcentral.co.uk. and it's the only one of its kind sporting 30inch width in pixel count. that's why im ultra-excited: it's the poor-man's 30inch.

being laptop can your lap support the thing? is it really portable? did it burn your desk? how's that low 1440x900 resolution treating your eyes?
    (i know the Asus "gaming" laptop i played at the Asus event sucked big time, it's too bright and race driver grid looks horrible without AA/AF on that low resolution screen)

there is never best of both worlds, the only way to get true portability and gaming performance is to get a desktop and a netbook. gaming laptops are a failed attempt at both.

8. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Downloading it now. I'll put my feet up with a whisky and listen to it this evening.

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Im loving the podcasts at the moment guys :thumb:

Can we please get Harry to say some more silly things?

10. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

I'm sure that won't be a problem :p

Tags: Add Tags