1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips Using DSLR outdoors in cold / winter

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by dynamis_dk, 12 Dec 2012.

1. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

So I've generally been neglecting my 7D on a whole recently. Had a bad 6 months in my personal life which has ended a lot I my days out as a family as I primarily took photos of trips to seaside, zoo etc

Now things are getting cold as frosty I wouldn't mode talking a few walks and getting some shots but I'm wanting to be sure I don't do my kit any damage.

As I understand the 7D is weather sealed and I won't be venturing out in pouring rains etc. I'd like to know how bet to deal with the kit coming from a cold outdoors to indoors without having too much condensation issues.

Any tips and tricks?

2. October

October Mariachi Style

If you'r out on a freezing walk and come home to a nice toasty house, you will get some condensation issues, but I'd be very surprised if you had any actual damage caused. I worked on a short film a couple of years ago shot on the RED One with a set of Zeiss primes, we were out on a beach for about 8 hours in January, then moved location to a cosy wee house for the evening. The lenses fogged up as soon as the boxes were opened, they had to sit under a couple of 2k lamps for half an hour before they were usable again :lol:

Best bet (if you don't need to use it right a way when you get home) is to let the bag sit closed for a bit to let everything warm up slowly. Alternatively warm everything up with a hair drier.

I had my (considerably less weather sealed) 550D out on a shoot today in not quite pouring rain but a couple of pretty heavy showers, not a bother to it, a 7D should be fine!

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

7D has nothing to worry about!

I've shot in pouring rain, on the beach, and freezing cold last night without without camera bag (first 2 with weather sealed lens). the fast prime did fog up when coming in to the house, but nothing much to worry about.

as mentioned, keep it in the bag to soften the effect. end of the day, camera is a tool. worrying about it is like worrying about your dust-free computer over heating.

4. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

DigitalRev did a fairly hardcore test of the 7D including freezing it in a block of ice and setting it on fire. It still worked just fine.

I'd link the video but youtube is blocked in work so you'll have to google it

5. dynamis_dk

Lol, thats a bit extreme!!

Its was mainly the changes in temp from hot to colds I was worried about but like you say I might leave it to warm in the bag slowly. I've got a couple of L lens I can use for the weather sealing if its would help too.

Just thought these frosty days look great so why not snap a few shots :)

6. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Only thing I would say is to take spare batteries with you and keep them in a warm inside pocket of a jacket or something. The cold weather can cause the rechargeable batteries to not function properly.

7. wyx087

not all L lenses are weather sealed, and some require a filter to seal it. what L lenses have you got? usually the ones with rubber seals around the mount can be assumed to be weather sealed to some degree.

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

The 7D will survive being brought in from the cold and the card being taken out without any issues. You might not want to take the lens off before it's warmed up, but I'd not worry about taking the card out.

Most of this condensation stuff comes from the days of film as you opened the whole camera up to swap/remove it, a decent DSLR doesn't really have this issue to the same degree.

9. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I found somewhere that said storing your lenses with the UV filters off will help prevent the growth of fungus because the UV will kill it.

Especially if you sun bathe them occasionally.

What do you guys think of this?

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It makes sense, but only incidentally. Storing a lens the caps will be on, usually inside a fairly dark room, so there's no chance of killing the fungus off there. However, once you take it outside to shoot with, you'll take it out into the sunlight and usually pop a UV filter onto it, or shoot without, leaving plenty of exposure time.

11. wyx087

don't use a UV filter, it degrades image quality and introduces flare.

I only use 1 UV filter on the 17-40 f4L to complete its weather sealing for when I go to shoot landscape, and have to be mindful of flares. otherwise none of my other lenses have any filters.

12. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

One thing you might want to do is get some silica gel packs for your camera bag and throw them in with your kit. It will help prevent moisture build up especially when your moving into different environments like the cold out doors to a warm house.

13. dynamis_dk

Cool, I'll keep some if those tips in mind.

The lens is a 24-105 mm f4 L IS, got a 70-200 f4 L too but for general walking and snapping I'd take the 24-105mm. It's already got a UV filter on, all lens do as I was initially told to do it to protect the lens.

Work as an IT tech so got stacks I those gel packs so ill throw a handful in my bag :)

14. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

I wouldn't use silica gel, it's toxic and not pleasant if it gets on your gear! The best thing to do is put everything in a zip bag and put some rice in, which absorbs the moisture really well :)

15. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry to find this question a little silly....

But you paid around $2000 USD for a camera with magnesium body.
    A huge sum of the money you paid is for you to feel comfortable with a camera body that can take a nice hit to the ground. You can take a trip to a desert or a freezing siberian winter and sit with your 7D for days waiting for that shot of a Tiger.

If you're shooting a riot, please use your 7D to defend yourself against an incoming shove or a blow (battery grip recommended). Same goes for an annoying wedding videographer who's moving into your shot.

Really it can take it. You paid for it to take it.

I've had salt water kiss many parts of my 7D, I've had it embrace rocks of Yosemite. It just made for a better shot :)

Here's a video of 7D being roughed up:

16. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Anyway if the camera dies you can just claim on the photography insurance. Surely anyone with a 7D and pro lenses has insurance on gear that expensive...

17. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

I don't think many people have insurance on their gear.

After posting above comment I drove to Bear Mountain and watched the meteor shower.
    Tried to take some photos with no great success, but did end up having snow form on the tripod, lens good and actually on the front element. Then shot a 12hr wedding on the same camera.

(The studio I work with we shoot only with dslrs and shutters seems to be doing okay and nothing overheats)

18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

This.

The batteries will die in about 10 minutes in below freezing weather, but will work normally once you warm them up in your pocket. if you keep swapping batteries back and forth you can go all day. Due to the conditions they get used in, the GoPro cameras have built in battery heaters to prevent this problem.

19. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Bring your gear in from the cold, leave it inside the bag, and let it warm up overnight. I've always done this, and never ever had a problem.

Do NOT remove lenses from the camera body once inside, as internal moisture is something you really want to avoid if possible.

If you need to edit your images right away, remove the memory cards, or film.. whatever you are using BEFORE you go indoors.. then let teh gear warm up slowly inside the bag.

condensation on the outside of a camera won't really harm it though.. unless it's VERY severe.... but.... just leave it in the bag.

/thread :)

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

For cheap photo gear insurance, just get it added to your home contents policy. :thumb: