1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OWC teases 600MB/s Mercury Viper 3.5in SSD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Jan 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

god yes. they should have been making a selection of 3.5" ssd's since the start, hopefully this is the start of a new trend of 3.5" SSD's with extreme capacity and performance :D would love for these to hit mainstream!

3. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

AT LONG LAST! A 2TB 3.5" SSD is the stuff dreams are made of :D

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

My bet is on it being two ssds in raid0.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

and still somewhat more than the 1862 you`ll get when you format a blank 2tb drive

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Sounds good but the price is going to be really high.

As for the 3.5" SSD vs 2.5" I think I will stick to my 2.5" as they are easier to mount if you don't have any hdd cages.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

By the time you take protocol and encoding overhead into account the maximum throughput for Sata 3 is about 570Mb/s, so im calling BS.
    And seeing as some high end SSD are hitting 550Mb/s i don't see the point in this drive for an extra 20Mb/s.

Also there is no mention what the max IOPS is and AFAIK that's what really matters when using a drive for the OS.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

At 2TB you wouldn't just use it for the OS any more though.

9. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

Bingo! This is what's really exciting about it for me. Long term it would be amazing to have a couple of 2TB SSDs in RAID0 just as the day to day norm - maybe with a mechanical drive for backup.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If you need more space than 512Gb for everyday use your doing something wrong :)
    If your willing to spend thousands of pounds just to have a fast drive to store stuff on your mad.

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you obviously don't have a steam library

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I do but are you really going play 20+ games all with in 5min, the time it takes to restore the game from your backups (that steam has built in)
    As i said if you need more than 512Gb your doing something wrong.

13. TimB

TimB What's a Dremel?

A backup is just a second copy of the game, it's the same size as having the game installed. So why not just have them installed to begin with.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Well, personally I use a small ssd for the os and a couple games, a hdd for the rest of the games / software and a nas for media, but frankly the moment large ssds become affordable i'll certainly put everything on a ssd.
    Of course this specific ssd most likely won't be cheap, but it should push down older ones in price, plus when the next gen comes this one will drop as well and so on, large ssds in the hands of average consumers are not a question of if, but when.

15. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

16. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

You mean if I'm using more than 512GB I'm doing something differently to you?

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

No i mean you have more money than brains, you cant get around the fact that (HDD) mechanical disks are cheaper per GB than (SSD) electronic disks.

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

There's a hole in your argument there Corky. It's just an emotive, non factual statement which doesn't mean anything, and makes some fairly insulting assumptions about those who want or require a larger SSD.

19. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Ehh I have 2tb of work on my disks. And it's sound files that all have to be loaded together which is very demanding on the disk. So I currently have to store it all on mechanical disks and then move it to the SSD for compiling. It's a bit of a faff. If I could just have the whole lot on one disk that would be really great.

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So you saying HDD are not cheaper per GB than SSD ?
    Its a fact that you can now buy HDD as cheaply as 5p per GB, SSD are only now approaching the £1 per GB mark.
    Its far from being a emotive, non factual statement which doesn't mean anything.

For your average home user it makes financial sense to only put what is used on a daily basis on a SSD and use a HDD for the rest.