1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware PC Hardware Buyer's Guide August 2013

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 22 Aug 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

"Windows 7 "

Either you really believe in Win 7 or you didn't update this. And I genuinely don't know your advice here!

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I'd stick with Win7...

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

The OS is down to your personal preference really but I'll refer you to our Windows 8 testing http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/software/2012/10/26/windows-8-performance-benchmarks/7

In short we agree with mi1ez - we'd still buy Windows 7 over Windows 8, although addons such as Start8 do make it much more user friendly in a desktop environment.

5. thogil

thogil What's a Dremel?

The start screen in windows 8.1 is far better than the start menu in windows 7, due to a superior search system. What with search being the only reason you would ever open the start menu since Vista, I'm not sure why you would want to downgrade to Start8.

There really is not much in it, so much that its hard to recommend paying for an upgrade, but there are a few minor improvements (multi monitor taskbar and wallpaper, file copy pausing, task manager, native zip and iso opening, etc), and literally no disadvantages.

In other matters, it's good to see this feature back.

6. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

If that's your definition of 'regular' I'd hate to use a bathroom after you :D

Joking aside, does anyone here anticipate AMD GPUs becoming a more sensible choice over the next decade due to a more similar architecture to the consoles?

7. Matticus

Matticus ...

Wow, when your GPU is worst than the affordable all-rounder you know it's time to upgrade!

Great to see this back though, I usually point people to this when they ask me about buying a new PC. That way I get none of the hassle and only 99% of the liability when it goes wrong :p

8. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

The AMD FX 6300/6350 is a far better CPU than that i3 for the affordable all rounder, even though they're slower per core, 6 of them at 4GHZ or more will be far more useful over the next few years in games and apps.

Especially with all the multi-core console ports that will be incoming from 2014 onwards..

9. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

I don't accept your priors; your argument depends on unwarranted assumptions.

I don't use Windows 7's start menu, since I prefer the XP menu, and I use ClassicShell to get it. It has the search functionality, but I seldom use it, I use a Cygwin terminal window if I want to type to start a program. I generally use the start menu for selecting a program based on categorization / spatial navigation / muscle memory.

Windows has had "native" support for zips since at least XP SP2, and I've disabled it ever since it was implemented, because it bogs down Explorer and litters the treeview with in-zip directories. MS have had an ISO mounter freely downloadable from their site since at least the early 2000s too. Having these baked in is not an advantage to me.

Windows has supported multi-monitor wallpapers ever since it supported multiple monitors. The trick to it was that you had to compose your wallpapers on a single bitmap and set it as the tiled wallpaper.

Multi-monitor taskbars are another non-advantage. I have an infinitely configurable desktop at work (Linux) that can easily do that, but I'd rather spend the extra centimetre on my browser window. Widescreen monitors aren't high enough as it is.

I generally pause file copy / moves with Ctrl-Z. If you've never used the terminal, you may not know what I'm talking about...

The biggest disadvantage is encouraging MS's further adventures in TPM and locked down boot loaders.

10. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 670 faster than the 760? And considering it's £200 - or below if it's on offer like it is now on overclockers and probably scan too - would it not be the better choice? Assuming of course they don't all vanish.

12. Combatus

13. Combatus

Funny you should mention that - I did nearly put it in! I think the margin is pretty slim though - it's down to 1-2fps in many of our benchmarks and as you say you're essentially relying on flash sales of the 670 to bring it down under £200, whereas the 760 is regularly available for under £190 which for this guide is what you want really. However if you can find one for for £180 or less it might be worth considering, but then the GTX 760 is also a pretty good overclocker, especially the MSI Twin Frozr we looked at recently.

14. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Lol.

15. roundyz

roundyz What's a Dremel?

Whats premium about this "8GB 1,600MHz DDR3" ? Its the same as the others..

16. Combatus

It's premium not pointless - we don't just ramp up the specs as we go through the article for the sake of it ;) Seriously though, the testing we've done showed that very few situations benefit from more than 8GB of RAM, and even where they did the difference was small, while the move from 4GB to 8GB is far, far more beneficial. This is why the affordable all-rounder now includes it too. I dare say in the next buyer's guide (hopefully won't be as long this time!) the Premium Player may well include 16GB.

17. Apoptosis

Apoptosis What's a Dremel?

Mostly what I would've gone for, although when I get enough scratch for a new system, I'm not going to be using any more mechanical drives. Thankfully, large-capacity SSD's are coming down in price!

18. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Agree in priciple (and im no amd fan) will say though that they trade blows in the various benchies so id imagine the fact that the I3 uses a fare bit less power for its needs is probably the reason it was chosen.

Xbitlabs have the i3-3240 (id imagine identical power usage to i3-3220) under load at 91w where-as the fx-6300 is at 162w, thats a big margin, 31w more than an i7-3770k in the same test/system!

G0UDG likes this.
  19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

do I even need to click it to know intel have bought and paid for another BT article....

£400 would get you a mini itx A10 based gaming rig or are you still `recommending` £1000 itx kit??

20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Fair point. Even if there's not much in it I personally would still go for the OC 670 for the extra ~£10, simply for the higher min frames on skyrim, though both push over 70fps, and the slightly lower power draw at load.

Also, @£191 that's a standard 760 on scan, the OC ones hit ~£200.

Tags: Add Tags