1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DIY Solid State Drive uses SD Cards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 20 Feb 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Pointless really. Isn't RAMDISK cheaper?

3. [1N0V471V]

[1N0V471V] What's a Dremel?

Maybe I'm reading that wrong but it doesn't quite seem right...

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Hm, knock about $200 off the price and they might have something. Maybe.

5. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

to me "Parallel Port" is the old printer port. Do you mean that or IDE port?

This reminds me of the Matrox triplHead2Go - Nice idea but the list of compatible parts is too limited and the price for the adapter itself is Way too High.

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I already have a CF to ide adaptor that I got from ebay for £2 and use to run one of my dos boxes which been a p200 insta boots (bios flashes 1s then im at dos prompt). This is posible becuse CF cards don't need conversion circuitry to comunicate over IDE and if givven a MBR show as a standard HD. This seems like a waste of money when cf cards would be so much cheaper to use (although you would still be better off with more ram if its performance and not an os drive you want).

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

8. MixWizard

MixWizard Minimodder

if it provided alot more space for that price then maybe i'd be intrested

9. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

10. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

But if you look up parallel port you get: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_port. Once upon a time external (zip) drives connected through that - I guess I'm just that old eh ;)

11. JazX101

JazX101 What's a Dremel?

Its an interesting idea, and bridges solid state technology with conventional storage tech. This is a good thing as it will make it easier for other companies to make better and more competitive products.

12. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Personally, I'm more interested in the "Hybrid" drives MS have shown on Channel9 (ReadyDrive), where the HDD has a few GB "Flash Cache". When reading from the drive, it's transparent wether the data is in the flash or on a platter, but (Of course) this makes data access for the cached information much faster.

So, for example, just before restart the data on the flash is arranged so the files needed for the next boot are all cached, and after the machine is booted the most recently used applications are loaded into the flash so the system can run faster. It's also interesting for laptops (Where they were showing this off), 'cause it means the HDD can really go to sleep, with 99% of the data being kept in the flash (Including writes), so all those little writes back to the HDD for the page file and the like don't require HDD spinup, thus giving a laptop a longer battery life. And, of course, on shutdown the cached data can be written back to the platters.

I think, however, it'll be really interesting when you have a 500Gb HDD with a 50Gb "Flash Cache". Then pretty much the entire OS can be cached ready in the fast flash memory, and applications and the like can stream videos and data from the platters as and when. It'd also make for a 75% silent HTPC, where the hard-drive is only spun up for content, and is sitting idle and spun down the rest of the time.

13. randosome

randosome Banned

In laptops, it wouldn't make sense to keep spinning down the HDD unless you know you aren't going to use it for a long time, because it requires quite a lot of energy to get the drive up to full speed (and time as well)

However, i guess you could spin the drive slowly (like 3k rpm) to save energy, however, whatever happens HDD's are going to drain power out of laptops quite a lot

i also have to wonder if this SD drive is actually cheaper then an iRam drive, and it certainly ain't beating any records for speed

on the subject of cheap ram - What happened to AMD's Z-Ram :confused:

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this wont fly very high.

but the CF to IDE converter looks very nice.....

15. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Agreed. CF to IDE is a better option then this.

16. Almightyrastus

I managed to pick one up for less than £5 including shipping, was planning on using it in a small media centre instead of a hard drive but might save it for when I upgrade to vista although at that price I may as well get more if I need them.

17. Tyr

Tyr Minimodder

Nice Linux media centre on a 16GB flash drive in a VIA box...

18. Almightyrastus

yeah something like that, would like to do something with a passive cooled via board with the only moving part being the dvd drive, something completely silent in operation. Would be nice to run xp mce on it though simply because that is what i am used to.

19. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Too expensive to fly, the CF adapters would be nicer.

20. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

HMM due to the finite write cycles of an SD/CF card, wouldn't the cards die pretty quickly if you were using them as virtual memory?

I remember reading an article where someone tried it in XP with a CF-IDE adaptor and the Card died within 4 minutes.

Don't know if vista is less intensive on virtual memory?

Tags: Add Tags