1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Revisiting Morrowind

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 10 May 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. the-beast

the-beast What's a Dremel?

Morrowind is indeed a great game, I finally finished it this year after 8 years of on and off play. That is how massive the game really was! Great fun.

3. aleph31

aleph31 What's a Dremel?

Oblivion was a *huge* step backwards. It was a rather good game, but Morrowind was a superb masterpiece in the RPG genre.

I don't think Skyrim will try to emulate the Morrowind formula. To achieve such a degree of immersion you have to add several ingredients that prevents the game from being considered a triple A blockbuster, and increases the production costs a lot.

Bethesda is now a big company, wants a big ROI, and they will target the casual market as much as possible, which is ok, but will hurt the quality of the product in RPG terms.

4. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Definitely a game worth revisiting :) I agree with the other posters that Oblivion was a big step backwards as for as RPGs go. Oblivion was more polished, but Morrowind was the better RPG.

5. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

The game I installed, loaded and for some reason never played... Such a shame modern games are all 'pimp my graphics' and little soul.

Prehaps the problem is that at Universities, kids are beign taught programming, whiz bang graphics, even some half decent AI, but true story telling? I suspect that is something that is being lost. As with other great games, its the small details, that you stumble upon, that can make a good game great.

6. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

As someone who never played Morrowind but did play Oblivion, (which was the first RPG style game I had ever played) I am always a bit suprised how much Oblivion gets slated. The caves were repetetive but I still really enjoyed the game, just didnt bother going into caves etc that much!

7. Scroome

Scroome Modder

One of the things that surprised me back in the day was actually how beautiful Morrowind was. Sure it looks basic by today's comparisons, but back then it was a lush game with ever expanding stories. The game set it self apart for me by the skills and magics you could learn. For example, I remember using levitate spell for the first time to escape some enemies was awesome. Flying up to a rock and laughing as they were walking around it, only to realise in horror that I simply couldn't get away fast enough and end up being hacked to bits... those were the days.

8. Bishop52

Bishop52 What's a Dremel?

How about giving some details on the graphics mods you use. I usually spend about two days trying to find and installing mods and after being somewhat disappointed by the results end up loosing interest in playing.

9. Ding

Ding What's a Dremel?

I loved Morrowind so much that I even put up with playing it on a machine that really didn't want to be playing it. This game was an absolute resource hog at the time. I strongly remember my time in the Bloodmoon area as looking like a slideshow.

10. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

I think I may have to have a go at Morrowind again,it has has been left at the back at the cupboard after oblivion,dragon age and mass effect 1 and 2 arrived on my PC.

11. CDomville

CDomville ^ I am THIS Possum

Unfortunate that the modability of the Steam version isn't really possible without some major tinkering. Just ordered the Boxed copy to get access to the toolkit so all of the mods can be installed properly and easily. Planning on using Morrowind2009 (http://morrowind2009.blogspot.com) as a baseline, plus a couple of extras.

It's a lovely game, and I've never finished it (got two houses to agree, then had too much time on exam and lost track of the story). If people are wondering why I'm rebuying, don't want to go back to my old Xbox because scaling is awkward on the 360, even in good quality cases, like Quantum Redshift).

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Ah, Morrowind... I've got the steam version, the retail version and the x-box version, and for some reason have never got round to playing any of them.

I've also got Oblivion on the 360 and PC (Steam). I've completed the 360 version of Oblivion (along with the Shivering Isles expansion pack), I still keep meaning to go back to Morrowind but never seem to get there.

13. Jedibeeftrix

Jedibeeftrix What's a Dremel?

how very true, and thoroughly agreed.

14. PedoBear

PedoBear What's a Dremel?

Memories,Memories.
    Gone aare the days of good rpg story telling and point & Clicks.
    I have been a very avid rpg fan for years from the spectrum up to pc.
    I do love gfx on games but I like stories good stories also.And in recent times I dare say the console market has had a very big effect on this they have been watered down.
    Games that make you think. I know some games have been on consoles but that was the old type ones before we had Activision sheeping & Ea sheeping people in with paid dlc and no mod tools to boot.
    Hopefully it will come full circle and we will get a community type Companies back.
    There have been some great games recently with mass effect Dao and the like but nothing touches good old games like...
    Morrowind
    Kings Bounty (Original one)
    Simon the Sorcerer
    Beneath a Steel sky
    Monkey island.
    Fallout Series (Orig)

Add Games Here.........

15. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

Glad I'm not the only one that sometimes get a sudden urge to play Morrowind, Currently in the middle of one. Just have a few exam reports that take too much of my time currently

16. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

<installs morrowind>

17. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

News must really be slow to be re-visiting old games like this, as great as it may have been in it's time. It was a shame that it could be completed in something like 10mins simply by knowing where to go and which potions to brew and still only be level 1.

This was sadly one of those games I personally never got in to and found it too 'clunky' right from the start, Oblivion was ok and at least held my interest long enough to get me in to the game, something Morrowind never did. Might and Magic: Dark Messiah was certainly fun to play and is something most certainly inspired by games like Morrowind but which provided a better interface and smoother interaction.

18. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

True, you can play the game that way, but that's totally missing the point. Morrowind was much more about the journey than just the destination.

19. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I couldn't agree more with the concluding paragraph of this article, it really sums things up perfectly.
    If I could get Oblivion's combat and physics in Morrowind I would be absolutely delighted - I don't care about any of the other improvements, Morrowind was a better game in every other way to me.

Now I feel like reinstalling it.. dammit Craig.

20. Torin

Torin What's a Dremel?

Morrowind was my first introduction to RP and wow what a game and the amount option within the game and gameplay would be scared see the hour game played count, Dagoth Ur will fall again.

Tags: Add Tags