1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Is 6800 a HDTV-free zone?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 3 Jun 2004.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

We have some hot NVIDIA-related news for you direct from the show floor of Computex here in Taipei:

1) They have confirmed their new mid-range 6800 card, the GT, will be clocked at 350 / 1000Mhz and will feature a single-slot cooling solution, a single power connector and a mere 300W PSU requirement. Depending on how a couple of things pan out, this full 16-pipe card could offer the best bang-for-buck in the 6800 range.

2) If you’re counting on HDTV working on your spanky new 6800, you’re out of luck: it has been confirmed this morning by Derek Perez of NVIDIA that the both the core and the existing reference board have no capacity to support an HDTV signal – though it is planned for the future NV43 & NV41 cores. If you are hoping a third party vendor is going to slap a discrete chip on there, you are likely to be disappointed because as far as we know no vendors are straying from the reference design.

The key lesson here is reading what is said, not reading what you expect: "6800 will support HDTV" is not the same statement as "6800 does feature HDTV" :sigh:

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I thought it was all down to the TV chip they plonk on the nvidia cards anyway? Its all done "on core" now?

3. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

all the geforceFX line cards (and the 6800s as far as i know) used an on core tv chip, which gives really crappy tv out compared to my geforce2 mx with its seperate conexant chip.

*me wishes they would go back to using a seperate chip*

Tags: Add Tags