1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kinect priced at £129 in UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Jul 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Project_Nightmare

Project_Nightmare What's a Dremel?

Way too overpriced even if it was in dollars instead of euros, $129 is still too much for a 3D camera.

3. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

Is that a typo or has something passed me by?

4. line2008

line2008 What is this "dremel" you speak of?

lol 4gb? surely you mean 40gb??

5. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Microsoft is insane. Kinect could be a great seller, but £129? Seriously?

They need the install base to hit a critical mass to get publishers interested in making quality games that utilise the hardware properly. Currently the only saving grave is that publishers know they can spend a lot less making a 'casual' Kinect game, especially compared to most AAA titles. However, they have to sell those games to a very small split install base.

If I were Microsoft, I'd be concerned. They've already publicly said they won't accept 'Wii-like shovelware' onto the console - but if the Kinect doesn't achieve a solid install base, that's all they'll get.

If they're seriously about the Kinect spearheading their mid-cycle refresh, then they better increase their subsidisation and get it priced under £100/$100.

No, it's correct.

The new 360 Arcade Slim comes with 4GB of internal storage and an empty HDD slot.

We may laugh at the incredibly small storage, but parents/casual gamers love the Arcade model. And now they can use that cheap 16GB USB stick the have lying around for game demos, Live Arcade games, etc.

6. alick

alick What's a Dremel?

dus it not have a 250gb hard drive

7. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

Fail.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

No, the new Xbox 360 is not a typo. It has 4GB of flash storage onboard, and replaces the Arcade.

9. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Thx, updated!

10. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

Not interested in Kinect at all. 4GB or storage is silly, I would get the full Stealthbox if I bought the console. But, for a lil over $300 I could get a 128GB Sandforce SSD instead...

11. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

The Arcade was always meant for casual users who weren't interested on downloading dozens of demos or care for installing-to-hdd. The old one was 512mb which gave just enough storage for game saves, so 4GB makes sense.

£129.99 for Kinect on the other hand is a bit of a stretch given that I'm still not sure if Microsoft can pull it off with the right games and experience to stop me just buying a Wii to go with my 360 already. I guess as with anything it's down to the developers and I could well end up with one regardless, but I would have found £99.99 a lot more impulsive.

12. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

What happened to the announcement that it would be priced under £50 or so earlier on in the year? Well I'm never buying it, not at that price!

13. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Thats expensive... I'll not be getting one unless it gets some truly steal titles.

14. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

Customers are also going to get an additional feature you haven't mentioned, it's free with all the Kinect bundles....0.15sec input lag : /

15. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

I'm sure it won't be that big a deal. With a traditional FPS, where every millisecond counts, maybe, but when the sole aim of some games is to surf down some rapids, 0.15 seconds will not make a massive difference, especially since everyone will be waving around like a nutter.

I'm really disappointed with Kinect. When they showed the original demos, it sounded as if it would be really subtle, detecting body language and chatting to the console. Now though, it's more like Eyetoy 2.0, just waving your arms around.

btw, in America Kinect will cost $149. In the UK, even with 20% VAT that's £115. Price gouge much?

16. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Think ill pass. I have the £10 camera for the 360 which is now redundant since they introduced avators, for example, bomberman. I dont think I need another camera especially one at £130.

I got a Wii and PS3 for all the motion gimics anyway.

17. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

The Arcade 360 is for casual gamers, the majority of Xbox 360 owners, you know the ones that ONLY have Halo 3, Call of Duty: MW2, Gears of War 2, and GTAIV and play them everyday in that order but has yet to finish any of them.

But for $300 I could get a Core i7 950 in August "price drop baby...YEH"

18. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

'Kin useless.

19. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

All this does is make me look at the Move lineup to see if there's anything worth adopting early for.

20. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Microsoft do not call it the Xbox 360 Slim, it's the Xbox 360 S. :geek:

Tags: Add Tags