1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Intel Speedstep when overclocking

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Alexzandernov, 22 Aug 2010.

1. Alexzandernov

Alexzandernov What's a Dremel?

So, I recently built my first PC after reading the 'Build a £400 future proof PC' in the August issue of CPC.

All went well and everything is working ok. I changed a few of the bits opting for a modular PSU to try and make the build a bit tidier and different memory as I got a good deal on 4GB of Corsair memory.

Feeling rather proud of my build I then started reading about how to overclock it as I wanted to understnd what I was actually doing to the system rather than just punching in the values from the article.

So having pieced together a vague understanding of what I was about to do I overclocked my G9650 from 2.8 to 3.5GHz. Having done so I noticed that in the Asus AI Suite my CPU speed is constantly 3.5GHz whereas before it would vary depending on what I was running. I believe this was becasue of the intel speedstep?? Is there no way of enabling this function once the system has been overclocked? Its just that if the CPU is running at this speed constantly I'm going to use more power right? Is this considerably a lot more power - is there a way I could find out?

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yes you can enable it, but make sure you OC is stable before doing so.

I have mind enable which saves the CPU being thrashed at its maxed OC frequency 24/7 and also keeps the temps down.

Simon.

Teelzebub and bulldogjeff like this.
  3. Alexzandernov

Overclock is stable having run prime 95, however the intel speedstep enable/disable option is only available when I put the Ai Overclock Tuner to Auto in the BIOS, it disappears when I change it to manual to overclock. I have the Asus P7H55-M motherboard BIOS version 0503.

Is there another way of enabling it or can you only do it with in the BIOS?

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Dam, I was just going to say all of that:wallbash:..lol

Teelzebub likes this.
  5. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

I also have my OC with speedstep enabled. Not sure why most sites say to disable it but I haven't run into anything odd, yet. Perhaps some boards are a bit finicky when voltage reduction gets applied to an overclocked CPU when Speedstep kicks in, don't know.

Also, regarding your bios screens: If it's anything like my Asus P7P55D, the Speedstep toggle hides on the OC page when an OC is applied, but you can enable it again from another page which I can't remember off the top of my head, but this page has a full listing of CPU functions. C1E, speedstep, turbo boost, and so on.

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

it's really made for notebooks.. most guides recommend turing it off because at high oc's it can cause instability

7. Alexzandernov

Thanks but it seems that after playing around in the BIOS the only way I can enable it is to set the CPU multiplier to auto - as soon as you type in a specified value for the mutliplier it disappears and I can't get it back - even if I go to the CPU configuration and start enabling/disabling settings.

I'm currently using the DROC profile so I can run my memory at 1600MHz then changing the CPU multiplier to auto and it's giving me a 4.2GHz overclock on my G9650 - which sounds ok to me but then I don't know enough to say if this is a good over clock or not (yet...)

8. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I would be happy at that speed it's a decent overclock.

9. Casper

Casper What's a Dremel?

Speedstep

I would be more inclined to leave speedstep off its a power Saver function, ( Runs your CPU u faster on load, and less voltage off load, this is bad for some of the more Cpu Bound Games demanding High FPS, Rendering them into ( how should i put it, Slideshows Almost rather than a game) nomater how fast your Gpus are, shouldnt cause problems on most GPU bound game engines though :geek: