1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Why buy the more expensive CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harald d lille, 18 Jan 2012.

1. Harald d lille

Harald d lille What's a Dremel?

Hi, there im new to these forums and I have a question.
    Why does CPU producers(AMD and Intel) send out the same processors at different clock speeds.
    For instance the core i5 2400 is the same chip as the core i5 2500.
    Why would anyone buy the 2500, when the 2400 can easily overclocked to the same frequencies as the more expensive chip?:confused:

Im sure im missing somthing here so please bear with me.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Why buy a car with a 2l engine, when you could bore out a 1.8l.
    The faster rated CPU is guaranteed to work at that speed as opposed to one that you have to overclock.

The difference here is that most like the challenge of overclocking, however the vast majority of consumers will be completely unaware of the term, let alone what processor is in their PC.

3. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

Recent processors from Intel have locked multipliers and frequencies, in terms of the maximum speed. Unless they are unlocked variants with a K or X at the end of the name. Ie. 2500 is locked 2500k can be overclocked.

For other processors it is a guarantee it will work at default voltage at that speed.

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

This used to be fairly true.

Since intel locked lower end cpu's it doesn't really work like that any more.

A i5 2400 will never reach the same clocks as a i5 2500k. Not worth crying about as there isnt a vast difference in price.

5. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

You have to consider the OEM market too. Most people don't build their own PCs, and if you buy an average PC from the likes of Dell or HP (not including stuff like Alienware I would assume), the BIOS generally doesn't HAVE any overclocking options, not to mention an average person

1) Has no idea what overclocking is, and
    2) Would be scared to try it if they did know

Also, they want to be able to offer a range of price points.

6. Uxon

Uxon Minimodder

This pretty much, always been true that people who actually know about hardware make up the minority when it comes to buying new PCs.

7. DanSonley

DanSonley What's a Dremel?

never considered this. was looking at buying an expenice intel cpu. will have to think about that when i do.