1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Bought SSD - right choice? (plus how to clone HDD to SSD?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Synay, 20 Aug 2010.

1. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Uhhh, after all those months of waiting/reading about them, I took a plunge and bought a SSD. My choice was this: Corsair 60GB Force SSD - got it from Ebuyer for quite astonishing £110 :) here.

Did I make a right choice??? Nervous here. It will serve in my laptop for now, later on migrate to my new PC. Will I really see that much difference from my normal 5200RPM HDD? Or even 7200RPM SATA HDD maybe?

Opinions? Please. :worried:

Last edited: 20 Aug 2010
  2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Theres been around 10000000 threads on this topic. I am an SSD owner and the difference between normal HDDs and SSDs is night and day. However, what is the point of this thread if youve ALREADY bought one...

3. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Opinions if I've chosen right, but I do get your point.

Plus I need to know how to clone my HDD, with all it's Windows 7 and settings and files and few programs I have (Spotify t.ex.) for free. Any ideas? Or making the back up image with Windows itself and then F8 on start up and choosing to restore from it will do the trick?

4. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

It looks like it's a pretty new model and based on the SandForce SF-1200 controller. It looks awesome - stop stressing ;)

5. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

On the other point - have a look at Acronis True Image. Unless I'm mistaken there is a fully-functional trial period ... but you should double-check that.

6. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

How easy is it to clone HDD to SSD, and do you do it from windows? I might jump on that for £110, I said to my self it it drops to £100 I would get it but this is very hard to resist!

7. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Yes it's a good drive, and you can use any number of cloning tools to copy your current install to it. Either Clonezilla or DriveImage XML should do the job and help documentation can be easily found on their respective websites or you can find video tutorials here and here.

I used DriveImage XML to make a copy of a Vista install on a traditional hard drive and used Bart Pe to make a bootable CD to run DriveImage XML and restore the image to SSD.

8. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

I know, SandForce SSD for a speck over £100 in 60GB flavour is very tasty.

9. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

i too was wondering if this was a good purchase or not, ill be making the dive into SSD's soon but it's got to be a min of 60gb this looks good to be, but im waiting for confirmation.

forget what i just said, i should refresh more often.

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'm refusing to buy a SSD until £1 = 1GB

11. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Yes because arbitrary ways of classifying value is really the way to build a good rig.

12. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

You were right, Acronis is fully functional 30 day demo. So I'll try. Will report on how it went, most likely tomorrow evening.

13. Parge

Its not arbitrary, its the price point I'm happy with.

14. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

I need to agree with Ph4azed, we still can't and won't for a long time, talk about price vs. GB in SSDs. It's the price vs. performance/stability that matters the most now.

15. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Price per GB is borderline meaningless as the selling point of SSDs are the high speeds, not capacity. Once 160GB drives become more affordable, such as £200, then they will take off as not many people need more than that.

16. Parge

My needs are: at least 100+ gig for Windows/Steam, and I'm not prepared to spend more than £100 on storage when mechanical drives are so cheap.

17. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

Some one must fight the good fight, carry on my wayward son :rock:

18. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Pretty much mirror the thoughts of the two posts above, 60GB simply doesn't cut it.

A single month with Windows 7 installed and a few choice games/programs weighs in at 100GB already! If they reach £120 for say a capacity of 250GB then I'd make the jump for sure.

19. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

20. brighty22

brighty22 What's a Dremel?