1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What's the Best AMD Bulldozer Motherboard?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 22 Nov 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Does anyone care what the best bulldozer motherboard is? I mean it's not like we are gonna rush out and buy a processor that performs so badly are we?

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

If the FX-8150 comes to he 150eur mark (cheaper than 2500k), then I have no problem recomending this cpu to people.

But first they have to "disapear" with the Phenom II stock. :D
    I would buy a Phenom II anytime over the new bulldozers

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

It's currently 220 pound. Good luck with that one :)

3lusive and Bede like this.
  5. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Think @V3ctor has a point - would rather buy a Phenom II than an FX, especially when you consider the price to performance thing.

I wonder if AMD's next processor will require a different slot as well, so you'd not even be buying AM3+ for future proofing. I see that FM1, which looks like a good idea, will be replaced by FM2 - so bang goes the upgrade path...

6. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

what else were they gonna do with all the mb reviews in anticipation for bulldozer?
    might as well press the publish key than the delete key

Bede likes this.
  7. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I would rather not buy an antiquated phenom II when I can buy an i5 2500k. Makes no sense to me but I guess there are always people who will buy the crap stuff. I would rather save some extra cash and buy a significantly faster CPU especially when the intel overclocks so well.

8. Bede

Bede Minimodder

It's difficult for people who were sold the Bulldozer myth, and thus stuck with AMD past the point where loyalty becomes stupidity. There's no reason (as greigaitken points out) that bit-tech shouldn't cover AMD stuff just because it's rubbish atm.

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

For me it's not difficult. When AMD was king I was just about to buy one and then Intel came out with the core duo. All of my AMD friends then dumped AMD for Intel. I go with whatever performs best and I also like overclocking (AMD has generally been quite weak on that compared to intel).

I guess there is the novelty value of having an 8 core cpu. I personally don't want 8 weak cores any more than I'd pay 500 pounds for a 32nm 6 core sandybridge. Until my mobo died 2 months ago I was using i7 860. When I buy a replacement mobo it will be z68 and i5 2500k. I'm no longer willing to pay 220+ for cpu and i5 k gives lot of overclock headroom at reasonable cost. AMD doesn't even merit a look. :)

10. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Seriously...why bother?
    I started reading through all the blurb regarding this in Custom PC this month and the decided to not bother wasting my life.
    How stupid are AMD?
    Involve the community, run some benchmarks, test things more before release...no-one is going to buy this shite.

11. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Lol...Derpdozer Motherboards.

Seriously, who cares, might as well run an article on which is the best and quickest method of throwing money down the drain, as it equates to the same thing.

12. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

I still use a 720BE, so a Phenom II x6 or a 980BE x4 makes upgrade sense... but yes, if starting from scratch, AMD makes no sense now...

13. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

As far as we know, the follow-up to Bulldozer (called Piledriver) will have an integrated graphics unit and thus will require a new socket. We're not sure what this will be at the moment. Perhaps the Llano follow-up and Piledriver will use the same new socket or maybe we'll be in the same situation as Intel, with LGA1155 and LGA2011 concurrently.

14. casper410

casper410 What's a Dremel?

Clearly we can see the performance improvement from 890 to 990 chipset. Well done Bit-tech.

Some of you forget when Phenom architecture was in its early stages the performance was basic. I really hope AMD can do the same with Bulldozer architecture, and i believe they will, i think we are in for some amazing future improvements on Bulldozer.
    FM1 socket is a great build for most peoples needs, and at a very good price, well done AMD. Now release your 7 series GPU`s and help fund your processor design.
    Unless you all happy with Intel`s new £800 chips and £200 botherboards, and panicking about AMD changing their sockets, so you can future proof your little gaming and internet pc, then stop complaining about Intels competition.

15. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

16. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Upgrading to a 6 core makes sense...but to a 4 core from 3 really doesn't, 3 cores will give you 80-90% of the performance of a full blown 4 core, especially in games, admittedly, an extra core might be worth it if your into 3d rendering or heavy photo manipulation...

17. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

???

Everyone is happy with the £160 Intel i5 2500K chip which is cheaper and better than the latest AMD Bulldozer stuff so I am not sure what point you are making here?

And in what way are people complaining about Intel's competition? All I can see is people recommending the Intel over any current AMD chip for most applications.

Proof please.

18. Panos

Panos Minimodder

I bought a Gigabyte 990FX more than 7 months ago. I am pretty happy with it.
    Awesome board, supports SLI (2 GTX570s on it atm) and the T1090 is working perfectly @ 4.3 Ghz.

The only game that stressed my system was Anno 1404, on huge maps with quite a lot going on!!!!!!!!
    (My system chew and spit out Skyrim, BF3 and huge maps on CIV5).

19. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

NO gigabyte board??

And Asus wins again, <3 asus

Teelzebub likes this.
  20. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Poor old AMD, as much as I want to see them succeed they really have punched themselves violently in the face this time, even if their next chip is super mega ultra hyper omg wtf turbo speed good, who's going to believe them after this mess?

Tags: Add Tags