1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Graphite 5 (Apple G5 mod) |22.05.2013 - Last update with the Final Pictures

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by nagyizom, 23 Oct 2012.

1. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hello Everybody!

Unfortunatly the building
    of my Tydirium shuttle is standing in orbit. The vacuum formin machine’s bulding has been stopped for some time, this why I can not proceed with my shuttle. I haven’t been idle for a long time, at the end of July I receeved a chance that I can not refuse.
    After long years of waiting I could get my hands on a PowerMacG5 chassis! I planed for a long long time to have one , but because of the price I coluld not get a chance. But in this July at a hungarian IT site’s advertise my friens saw one with a suprising low price, they called me and I negotiated with the owner in the next minute.I one week the chassis has arrived.
    This is the chassis:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the afternoon I removed all parts from the chassis. It was not an easy task, because I never worked with Powermac machines, I had to stop from time to time and had to think how to remove the next piece from its place..... but finally I has success and that was only important.
    Pictures of taking apart the chassis:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have succesfully removed all the screws, so I can moved out all the parts left in the case. Hurray!!
    The case has been naked down totally. I can disable further to an inner core and an outer cover, but without the specific tools this is not gonna happen right now.The case has at least 3 types of screws, which need 3 different type of screwdrivers, so more is needed as a crosshead screwdriver.
    My primary goal is to build a PC in this case , without modifying it too much, I am think of the backplate especially. I have to work out the fixing of the mainboard, the PSU and drives.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: 22 May 2013
  2. ziza

ziza What's a Dremel?

I always love the transformation of MAC cases to PC, I think they have a sweet design, but many transformations are required.

3. Razbit

Razbit What's a Dremel?

Oh boy, I've been looking for this case a while now, but other projects have kept me away from it.. :(

I'm willing rip see more, maybe a hackintosh in side of this one? :)

Razbit out

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

4. thegyufi

thegyufi What's a Dremel?

oh yeah, the big brother of my G4 cube that I had modded ! Probably my next target too :D

5. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

2012.10.24 | Update No.2: First Cuts |

In my previous quote I promised to show how will I put the mainboard in place. Previously I saw a G5 case modification here on the Bit-Tech where the owner used the original spacers to put in the PC parts. I choose this too, in my opinion this is much nicer and stylish than installing a mainboard tray.I will do it with the help of one of my friends. Previous day I removed the mainboard spacers with a pliers to solder them back like an ATX format .For this operation we had to completely dismember the case to reach the solders.
    First I removed the massive ventilation grid at the back, than the screws which hold together the case.The case stands together in 4 pieces the 2 side plates and the characteristic „ears” are one, the smaller side plates the front and back panel the bottom side are the other. This can be take apart to 2 other pieces. The elements are tithed together wit screws not with rivets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To use the spacers I had to polish the surplus stuff off. My friend has a well equipped workshop in his house at the basement, there is a grinder wich has came very handy at this time.With this grinder I removed the surplus aluminium in no time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I planned to flame weld the spacers to the backplate, for this we had to know the exact size and place of them.We searched out from the stock a not working atx mainboard and to expansion cards , mounted the spacers to the board, than greased the spacers with thermal conductive paste, put the board in the right place. The paste sticked to the backplate so we can draw around the soldering. My friend roughed up the surface with a Dremel, and after the cleaning he started the warm up of the surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a few minutes we realized this will not work because the aluminium dispersed the heat on all over the surface, and did not warmed up the the necessary heat,and at the warming point it is became a little bit wavy. We stopped it immediately and tried to straighten the surface with weight. After the cool down , we tried to put the case together to see if the damage is acceptable. Fortunately with the screws we could pull it together.

So the soldering will not work. The solution will be the 2 component glue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

The next step to make the backplate (I/O panel , fan mounting). For this I have to cut the case, I hope this part (for me the most critical) will work out fine .
    It was not an easy task to measure the exact place, but with the ATX standard and another case I worked out this problem too.
    My first task was the remove the original plastic edge protectors.Later I will use them up.
    After This I have measured the rectangles edge place. This was the reference later I measured to it everything.

[​IMG]

To draw the exact sizes , I cut out the vent from cardboard, and draw it around with a rotring.

[​IMG]

I sticked to the well known saying. Measure twice to cut only one. I measured at least 3 times before started to use the machine .Before the work to have enough space I taken apart the case to 2 pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like the vent is on the right place. The mainboard is not completely at his place but I hope I did not ****ed up anything! :rock:

Things to do:
    - Stick the spacers into the case
    - Create a backplate in it's original form or at least to build it back to look like the original.
    - Cut a 12cm fan hole instead of the original two 8 cm.
    - I have to make the outlet look good. Have to fill the vent at the black plate and between the outlet, I think a 20x20 mm L profile will do the work.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2012
  6. Zsolt Guriga

Zsolt Guriga What's a Dremel?

man this is already looking good,nice job

7. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

Thank You! Next update will come on friday, I hope you like it too.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2012
  8. Attila

Attila still thinking....

I don't envy you working on one of these cases. It looks like a nightmare anywhere you want to do something. :hehe: I've seen lots of these modded and it's very difficult to make a silk purse out of a silk purse, if you know what I mean. :lol:

I had the same problem trying to do some brazing. Even if you only want to weld a small area, if the work piece is large then it will act as a huge heatsink. To get the area hot enough means risking damage and warping to the part. Anyway good luck with the rest of the build. :thumb:

9. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

Thank you Attila! I agree with you, I was thinking so long to how I cut the holes, fix the panels and put everything into position. But I know that from the first time, when I started this mod and I have to say, I quite satisfied withe the results what I've done so far. :)

10. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

2012.11.01 Powercoating

Here I am with a minor update from the powercoating

I' we tried to find the best and the cheapest way to paint the case. The powercoating is makes really strong surface, easy to make it and quite cheap process. So I search for someone, who have the proper equipment for this in my town. I surprised that how close it that shop: this is in the next street of mine.

On 31.08.2012 I bring the case in this shop and started to work. Firstly, we prepared the surface with sandpaper. It was fun to remove the apple logo :lol:

[​IMG]

After this my friend Chris screwed in the screws wich I have brought and did the suspension from copper wire. Than the two parts was hanged up to the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before painting he washed up the full surface with white spirit to remove all staining and dust, and started the paint job. While he was painting I was filming the whole thing.

[​IMG]
    A video from the painting process:

When he finished , the next step was the burning in the furnace. It takes about 30 minutes on 200°C

[​IMG]

Then, after the burning the surface looks lik this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe you can ask a question: where is the another part of the case? Well, I have work with that, so I paint it after all.

Thank for Watching!

Last edited: 2 Nov 2012
  11. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

Looking nice , a G5 is something ive always wanted to do !

12. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

2012.11.02 |Brand new backplate|

Thanks!

After the powder coating I payed attention to the backplate. I cut out a big piece from the chassis and stated t make my own PC compatible version. Let the pictures speaks for themselves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut out a hole for the 12cm fan and use 10x10x1,5mm L bar for the edge:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How its fit in the case:

[​IMG]

Cut out some extra steel pieces.

[​IMG]

I buy a two component epoxy glue. Stick the pieces to the chassis and also I glued the motherboard standoffs into the case after the powdercoating :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

L bars in position. Fix them temporary with masking tape:

[​IMG]

For the perfect final result I need to make another L bar thing to here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test fitting, perfect so far:

[​IMG]

Make 3 holes for te screws:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I finish this I glued every piece into position:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that the glue has dried I use fiberglass bondo to fill the gaps between the chassis and the steel plate:

[​IMG]

The bondo has dried, so its time for sanding...

[​IMG]

After the fourth layer of the bondo I thought i get a proper surface so I paint it with prmer:

[​IMG]

I fit the mobo and some cards into the case to check my work. I was so happy when I saw the results::clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the hardest part of the work is finished.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: 22 Nov 2012
    siliconfanatic and Moddingboy like this.
  13. ModsofNorway

ModsofNorway What's a Dremel?

This project are very promising!! Awesome job, man!!

siliconfanatic likes this.
  14. Moddingboy

Moddingboy What's a Dremel?

Fantastic work nagyizom! :thumb: Keep up the good work ;)

15. Ragequit

Ragequit What's a Dremel?

Amazing! Love the look of the G5, cant wait to see what comes next! I love the way the backplate just melted in with the case.. Next thing i want to see is an old Imac mod :D

16. m3rk

m3rk What's a Dremel?

I admire your metal work skills :)

Look forward to seeing the next update

17. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

Thank you Guys! I'm really busy atm, but I did some work on the case in the last month, maybe on weekend I'll show you the result.

Last edited: 23 Nov 2012
  18. Zsolt Guriga

Zsolt Guriga What's a Dremel?

we still wainting for the results:thumb:

19. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

I have to say, your pretty ballsy modding a G5 what with all that fiendish "safety" to it. +rep:thumb:

20. Razbit

Razbit What's a Dremel?

Oh boy, this looks amazing.. I love your color scheme, dark + light = wonderful :)

And of course, thanks to Ive, the case it self is a piece of perfection..

Just keep it coming, I'll be waiting : thumb:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Tags: