1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Bit-tech Modding Update - July 2014 in association with Corsair

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 28 Jul 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Best desk build ever ....

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Sorry but can't agree there l3p
    I know that a lot of work and craftsmanship went in to it but it just doesn't work for me. The desk design (without the aesthetics of the material) looks like a cross between a Star Trek console and a table from the Flintstones. I also don't like the design of the foot plate as I am sure that a desk with wheels will keep bashing the front sticky-out bits while once seated and tucked in you have nowhere flat for your feet. The area for the mouse is also to small as I am sure that during gaming you will consistently move off the edge.
    However, most of all... WHAT THE HELL IS THAT PC BUILD INSIDE???? It looks like one of the messiest builds I have ever seen. Such a waste...

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

The Wood build is quite unfinished. They forgot to cover the entire bezel and left sales stickers on. I would be embarrassed to upload a build like that.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Frog- He admits the computer is a "museum piece." He blew his budget on the desk and is planning real hardware in the future.
    @MSHunter - The monitor isn't the build.:D

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I like that desk build a lot, actually.

7. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

I agree with you Nex. That's a really really nice desk.

Of course it's not as good as SchizoFrog's and MSHunter's scratch builds and mods ... :confused: ... Hang on a minute, neither of them have posted build threads ... :idea: ... I know what it was, I must have confused it with their classic threads "Christmas Competitions - why wasn't there one on 19 and 20 December" and "Which soldering iron to buy?" :hehe:

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I also agree its a great desk, a lot of work and skill has been put in the creation of it and of course wood is a great medium to work with.

I bet there's a lot of jealous people out there

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Great desk, and I love the truck too!

10. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I loved all the builds shown here this time, (top quality as usual) but I really came to the comments section to rave about Imperium and Lizard Desk and wow! - A little taken aback by a couple of the comments actually.

I'd be damned proud to have that desk in my office, never mind actually having built the thing.

I know we've all got different tastes, and that's fine, but I think the tone was a little out of order there myself...

11. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

So just because I haven't made a scratch build myself I am not allowed to have and state my opinion? I am just supposed to kiss arse or keep quiet? I didn't slag the build off, just said that I didn't like it and I gave my reasons why, which I believe were perfectly honest and reasonable. If you don't like it Carrie, you can go do one... because personally I don't care about your opinions of me.

12. Teelzebub

No one is asking you to kiss arse just when expressing your opinion is it really necessary to be an arse

13. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

Speaking about the desk mod is not about "jealous people"; that thing is such a colossal waste of money and energy that you can't even invoke "the matter of taste" excuse, it is objectively ugly

Last edited: 29 Jul 2014
  14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think that some people struggle a bit because it seems to be a mix of two different styles (organic and minimalist, with a bit of Robert Thompson thrown in (the lizard). You get the idea that the creator couldn't quite make up his mind. On the other hand the craftsmanship is excellent and its proportions are well-balanced. It also has good detailing. On the whole I quite like it.

15. Teelzebub

TBH they all are a colossal waste of money, I could see a kid loving the vehicle one but I seriously doubt they will get used as someone's daily rig I often wonder what happens to all these mods/ builds etc must be a lot of garages full of weird and wonderful computers never to be used lol hopefully they get recycled.

At least the desk is different from yet again another water cooled rig, whenever I see these water cooled rigs I just think "right same old same old" not that special really, water has it's place in some builds in fact there's one build being done that the water cooling is as unique as the whole build but most use the water cooling as the main and only feature, and that one with the camshafts and clock bits looks great but would drive you mad with the noise.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2014
  16. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

How can something truly be objectively ugly??

Personally I think brutalist buildings are the spawn of Satan himself, but there's still a huge movement that praises them and Le Corbusier, despite him clearly being a prat with no clue as to how humans like to live. I think monolithic black boxes are also ugly as sin, so that goes for things like the Corsair Obsidian series, the Fractal Define R4, loads of Lian Li creations, Caselabs etc. But again loads of people love them.

This desk is simply something that you and some others don't like, that's all. Personally I do like it, although not because I think it's particularly pretty. It wouldn't fit in my home, but I can imagine a place where it would. It is a bit of a shame that the rig itself wasn't given as much treatment IMO, it doesn't have to be top notch hardware to look good if you put your mind to it. It's a bigger shame though that it's received quite so much flak. If you don't like it, simply say it's not for you and why and there you go, no point it trying to reduce it to rubble.

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I think this thread filled in the last bit of criteria needed to make Lizard Desk art.
    All we need now is someone saying his five year old could make it.

18. Attila

Attila still thinking....

touché ;)

19. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Boom!

Scew the naysayers, I really like it.

Fine craftsmanship, unique styling (for a desk made of wood), and would be a excellent centrepiece in a room. It's one of the few mod threads I've actually followed recently.

I suppose it's good we all have differing opinions, but quibbling about the monitor has a sales sticker on?! I can almost detect some kind of sour grapes... :/

Tags: Add Tags