1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USb Thumb Drives - Flipping the Removable Media Bit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pygo, 29 Sep 2008.

1. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Has anyone tried doing so with the Corsair Flash Voyager 16gb? I'm asking because my old 512mb drive died.

I flipped it's media bit for a few reasons:
    1) Get around the active directory "security feature" that disables use of usb mass storage devices.
    2) This also allows you to have multiple partitions, since Windows 2000 and higher only properly permit one partition. Linux/Unix/BSD/OSX support multiple partitions just fine.
    3) Enables proper auto-run capability, just like CDs. (More info below and citation.)

I think I used dd in linux, or some hex editing program, possibly VI. It's been years since I've done it. Since then, the Lexar BootIt app was reported to work with many USB sticks. I'm looking at the Corsair Flash Voyager 16GB (CMFUSB2.0-16GB) usb flash drive. I'm curious if anyone has this and can double check that it works for me, before I go and pick one up. Would be nice if anyone can check the GT version as well.

Lexar BootIt application is available from here.
    I should mention that the app appears to format the drive when you use the tool, so backup first!

Quote taken from here: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/usbfaq.mspx