1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel launches Ivy Bridge-E Core i7 chips

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 4 Sep 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

If they have the same overclocking bottleneck due to the TIM under the IHS as previous ivy bridge parts - whats the point?

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well if they can hit 4GHz in Turbo Boost mode Intel must be confident its not going to exceed TJMax, i think the interesting question would be how much higher could they go.

4. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

From the reviews I have read 4.5GHz seems to be about max. I assume bit-ech has a review coming...

This launch has been the least exciting from Intel for a long time. In fact, there is nothing the be excited about at all here. Oh well.

5. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I'll be honest, I was looking forward to this launch. I bypassed the SB-E range (having only just built a 980X system when it launched) and I have also given Haswell a miss.

I thought that this would be the ideal upgrade for me when I heard about it. I am slightly disappointed in the figures, but as I don't have SB-E the 4930K is still a good jump up from my 3770K and the PCI bandwidth of socket 2011 appeals as I am going multi GPU.

What I am most disappointed in is that there is no new chipset and I will have to purchase a 2 year old EOL mATX board (will the system even boot with an IB-E chip in to allow me to update the bios?).

If they can't even be bothered to support them, then it's no wonder they've released these chips without much of a fanfare.

Sorry Intel, but I'll keep my money this time thanks.

6. Chris_Waddle

The IHS is soldered this time, so heat will be far less of an issue.

7. Fracture

Fracture What's a Dremel?

@Chris_Waddle Asus (well, an Asus employee) in particular has hinted at an upcoming release of more x79 motherboards. A release date was suggested at around mid-september. While it isn't a new chipset, I'm personally waiting to see what Asus can pull out of the bag and what 3rd party controllers they'll include to update the aging platform. Otherwise, it seems that Haswell-E might be my next upgrade...

8. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

The consequence of basing an enthusiast chip on a server design is that the technology will move slowly (server OEMs want to keep the same socket for as long as possible) and that core count will be prioritised over IPC. Going with IB-E means you'll be stuck on the X79 chipset, with its lack of native USB 3.0, only two SATA 6Gbps ports and wonky PCIe 3.0 support. I'm willing to bet that for the vast majority of enthusiasts, even the extreme performance/wealthy enthusiasts, the regular Haswell chips will be a much better choice than IB-E unless the system will be running workstation/server workloads extensively.

9. Chris_Waddle

I am aware of some new Asus boards, but Bindi has already said in another thread that there won't be any new mATX boards. I don't want a full size board, hence if I did want to go for IB-E I would have to get an EOL board.

10. Fracture

Fracture What's a Dremel?

Ah okay, I wasn't aware of that... I think I'll be waiting for Haswell-E then, as I will be needing an mATX board too

11. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

This is fairly poor. There are three variants of the Xeon E5 chips that these are based upon, and these seem to be based upon the lowest end model that only comes in 4 and 6 core variants.

They could have at least bumped up the core count from 4/6 to 6/8. Those that say that so many cores aren't needed aren't looking to what the new consoles could do for core usage in games.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You best get in touch with the author of this article on RPS then :worried:

13. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I would be inclined to take this article seriously..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen

Most notably -

We approached a number of developers on and off the record - each of whom has helped to ship multi-million-selling, triple-A titles - asking them whether an Intel or AMD processor offers the best way to future-proof a games PC built in the here and now. Bearing in mind the historical dominance Intel has enjoyed, the results are intriguing - all of them opted for the FX-8350 over the current default enthusiast's choice, the Core i5 3570K.

I will take the word of the hand that feeds any day over a web site with a laptop they played with for a while.

Now that RPS article does have a point. Pretty much any modern decent CPU and GPU will take care of the next gen of console games. And those games are slowly beginning to filter through now.

Oddly enough those games tend to coincide with many articles and reviews that say that an AMD Piledriver is worth having.

The results on those Piledrivers? well, with BF3, Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 the results are favourable. However, you can't just run those games "On any old CPU" as the RPS article suggests. You still need a reasonably fast one.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea AMD are looking better than they used to, now they have XBOX and PS4 in the bag it makes AMD more attractive for a gaming PC.

Either way i would consider the guy from RPS is right when he says
    "never have to upgrade your CPU to cope with the next decade of console ports." be that AMD or Intel.