1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors is too much oil a bad thing?

Discussion in 'General' started by hardflipman, 9 Dec 2004.

1. hardflipman

hardflipman What's a Dremel?

hey folks,

i've just got myself a nice wee honda concerto (don't laugh) for 400 squid. but the engine is a bit ropey at times. it seems there's an oil leak so the guy that sold it to me filled it up with oil. if i use the dipstick the markers are about an inch apart but the oil level is about an inch and a half higher than that. should i drain the oil? is that much oil likely to cause problems?

cheers

2. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

It won't help the leak at all if theres too much oil in the car! As you drive the oil pressure rises, so too much oil can blow something. It would be an idea to take it to a garage, and have them look at it.

3. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

More oil wont raise the pressure, thats dependant on engine speed and the pump itself :) If theres too much oil in there it may reach crank level, so the cranks splashing around in it, and theres the possibility of it seeping past the crank oil seals and hence onto the clutch :S Id change the oil and filters anyway on a new car, not a huge job tbh :thumb: Whereabouts is the leak coming from?

4. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

the oil can also seep past the piston rings and make it smoke like a b'stard (instant plod puller if its real bad)

5. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Yep too much can be bad. Its better than not enough tho :D

6. Slick13

Slick13 What's a Dremel?

erm are you dumb??

An inch and a half ABOVE the maximum!!!

ffs, drain about a litre and a half off NOW, if you run it like that the pressure in the engine is going to increase unbelievably, it will engulf the cran which will lose you power as it will make the crank feel like it is trying to push through toffee, also if it rises above the rings, then you will warp the head on the car and then the whole topend could need replacing dependant on how badly it goes bang.

Check for a mayonnaise type desposit in the radiator expansion tank and also for water droplets in the oil, on the dip stick and where your filling point is. If there is any water in the oil then its time to rip the head off, reskim and refit at best, if it is more damaged then its time to get your money out and go hunting for another car.

Sorry but thats the harsh truth.

7. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Not as dumb as you m8, no matter how much you put in it wont effect the oil pressure.

I dont think you need to worry about head gasket failing from putting 1.5" too much oil in it. Like someone before said the crank will start to dip into the oil in the sump, that will mean alot of oil gets thrown around the engine which can cause excessive oil leaks through gaskets and seals. It can also cause excessive oil to find its way passed the rings and that will cause to a bit of blue smoke.

You should change it anyway tbh. ! mean whats it going to cost you? £20max?

slater..

8. hardflipman

cheers guys.
    i was thinking of just changing the oil anyway. there's no smoke coming out which is good. it did go all weird the other day, like it was misfiring or something, couldn't rev very high etc. but it went away.

i was wondering if there was any way to make it a bit faster, or if i should just get it serviced, new oil, filters, air flter etc...
    it's a 1.6i 16v engine so should be relatively good

9. penski

penski BodMod

...Did you just post that on OCUK or am I getting Deja Vu?

:/

Make sure you declare any mods to the insurers.

*n

10. hardflipman

you got me there!
    unlikely to be too many other folks with my crappy car!

11. Slick13

Slick13 What's a Dremel?

What a load of bull, ignore this clown.
    :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

12. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

You should focus on making sure it runs well first. If everything is running clean and proper, you will find more power.
    if you add $1000 worth of mods to a shitty engine, you still have a shitty engine with far less power than you should have.

13. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

Ahem ... more oil will not raise oil pressure, just like less oil will not lower oil pressure, as long as the oil pump is pumping oil, it's going to put out "X" pressure . What it can do is foam because of the crankshaft hitting it . foam has NO lubricating properties and too much oil can raise the crankase pressure and blow out the seals or gaskets

Does your fuel pump pressure go up with more fuel in the tank ???
    Do you have any explination on how that 80psi oil pump is going to raise its operating press ??

DB

14. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow:

As has been said, more oil doesnt affect the oil pressure! The only factors are the pump dimensions/design, engines speed and then the tolerances of the bearings. The sump is just a tank of oil that the pump draws from, having more oil in there won't affect the pumps operation and hence pressure (although having less oil will, for obvious reasons)

If from your 1st post you meant crankcase pressure, then I see your point, but the breathers will compensate. Usually they're hooked to the inlet manifold to give a NEGATIVE crankcase pressure anyway.

Tags: