1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Replacing a 360 HDD

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by CrapBag, 29 Nov 2012.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I wish to upgrade my lads xbox 360 hdd to a 250gb, he has the original cream one with HDMI.

I have seen a few video tutorials on how to do it and am perfectly confident about undertaking the task.

What I want to know is if anyone here has done this and if there are any pitfalls.

Is it against microsofts terms and conditions etc to do this, is there a possibilty that my lads live account could get banned?

Also does it have to be a particular brand of hdd due to some sort of firmware detection.

Thanks

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I think the main thing (other than doing a lot of research) is to not connect the xbox to live without the hdd or the disc drive installed - that can get your account banned as they think you're trying to use a hacked console...

3. Strudul

Strudul ~

How do you mean replace?

Options to "replace" (upgrade) your 360's capacity that I know of are:
    -Remove the old hard drive (simply unplug it from the top) and stick a new one in.
    -Plug an external drive (HDD or Flash Drive) into it via USB.

I am really not sure what you are trying to do that would be against the T&Cs.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Take the plastic hdd casing apart and fit a new 2.5" laptop drive and then reinstall the software.

Like this

5. Strudul

Strudul ~

Umm why would you want to do that?

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

The cost :)

7. Strudul

Strudul ~

Just get an external case or an adapter and plug it in via USB.

Then you can:
    -Transport the data easier
    -Transfer the data easier
    -Use the drive for other stuff

Actually swapping the drive and installing firmware was only necessary when 360s didn't support other drives. You can use any HDD / memory device now as far as I am aware.

I use my flash drive for a few things, and I know people that use large 3.5" drives.

-------------------------

To answer your questions about the method you want to use in the OP:
    -I haven't done it before, but I've taking apart my 360 enough times and I don't think you will break anything.
    -Yes, it will be against the T&Cs and will void the hard drives warranty (but this will have expired so it doesn't matter)
    -No, you won't get banned (I don't think)
    -I don't think it matters which HDD you use.
    -I don't know if you will need to install the firmware on it. You definitely don't have to if you plug it in via USB, but I'm not sure if connecting in that way will mean otherwise.

So in conclusion, I would recommend just using an external drive plugged in via USB:
    -It takes less effort
    -It provides more flexibility
    -It will definitely work
    -It won't break any of the T&Cs

Last edited: 29 Nov 2012
  8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

This is the older style xbox, I was always under the impression that external drives wouldn't work, I also want him to be able to install his games to the drive so that the dvd drives isn't constantly spinning and making a hell of a din.

9. Strudul

Strudul ~

I don't think it matters which xbox it is (assuming by older style you mean the original 360 and not original xbox). There was a firmware update which allows any storage device to be used.

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yes it's a 360 as stated in my first post (although we do have two originals in the loft), I just didn't think you could load your games to it, just things like images and music.

I'll try on of my external drives and see how I get on.

11. Strudul

Strudul ~

I think you can.... I haven't used my xbox in years and can't remember much. I just remember that a few friends used to use external drives.

It's worth a shot anyhow.

I know that you can transfer profile data and save data onto a memory stick. Never tried to install a game to it though.

12. Strudul

Strudul ~

Asked someone I know, they said:
    -Connecting by USB will only work for memory sticks
    -If you want to use a HDD, then you were right, you have to dismantle the 360 cage and replace it.
    -The HDD should be a 2.5" Western Digital drive. Apparently the Scorpio Blue is good. Might wanna do some more research.

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Thanks for the info.

Yeh I'd come across that the Scorpio Blue was preferred reading tutorials on how to replace it.