1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Advice on monitor and GPU please?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by st1x, 21 Jan 2013.

1. st1x

st1x Surviving on low specs since '86

I've had my eye on a new monitor/gpu setup for a while now, and as i've come into a bit of money i wanted to ask some opinions.

Firstly is This tasty number which i gleaned from Spikeys thread elsewhere on the forums. Its sitting at just about the right price for a decent long lasting monitor and after hearing how amazed he was by it, that kinda swayed it for me.

But it comes on to the GPU and i am at a loss. My budget is grand total for both, which leaves me 400....but obviously if i can get away with dropping less for no discernable benefit, then i will do that.

I'm upgrading from an old GTX 280 and a MW19E-AAA, so obviously this is going to be a big step for me and i want to get it right.

Im umming and ahh'ing between a gtx 670 and an HD 7970 but its a big price difference and i was wondering if it is totally worth it throwing an extra 70 for an HD7970.

Would some folks who are in the know, especially if any are actually running these two combinations, give me some advice so i dont end up kicking myself in a few weeks time please?

Thanks in advance,

Nic

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Amazing monitor it is. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

In your case you want added memory from the GPU. Whether you pick AMD or Nvidia solution, pick the one with the most memory. Please remember that you can't compare AMD memory space with Nvidia's. The GPU are completely different and manages memory completely different. In other word, HD 7970 has 3GB of RAM, the base model, and the 670 has 2GB. The AMD card is not necessarily the card to go too, as 3GB might not be enough, but for the Nvidia GPU it would.