1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Anyone still play TES IV:Oblivion?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by lp rob1, 14 Jun 2010.

1. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I personally think that when loaded up with mods, Oblivion is the BEST game that I've played so far. :rock: What do you guys think? Do you still play it? What mods do you use?

lp rob1, completely new to the forums

2. Lucy2005

Lucy2005 What's a Dremel?

hi rob, i too have just started playing this game, and its massive! I have a fair few mods on it to make it look and play better. ive played around 8 hours so far and haven't done any of the main quest line yet, overall i'd give it a solid 8/10 theres plenty to do and i cant wait to try out making potions and enchanting weapons/armour :D

oh and welcome to the forums

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Oblivion without mods: 8/10 with patches.

With mods: 10/10. It's a great game, although it can draw itself out too long.

4. Gh0stDrag0n

Gh0stDrag0n Unleash the Beast!

Yes, Oblivion with mods is a whole new game. I have 298 mods installed (254 active and the rest merged with wrye bash) I need to clean up my mod list and merge some to make room for more. FCOM, Unique Landscapes, COBL, Better Cities, Natural environments, OMG, Elsweyr the Deserts of Anequina, Blood and Mud, Enhanced daedric Invasion, Midas MAgic, & Quarl's texture pack are a few of the big ones. I've had a hell of a time getting everything to work together and just when I think I have it another great mod comes out or I find a major bug that needs fixed. If anybody thinks the game is too easy/boring/ugly They have not modded it enough. ;)

5. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I play it but on the 360...

Still 110+ Hrs and i've only just entered the Shivering Isles.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I've been thinking of starting playing it again, actually. Any mods in particular people would recommend?

7. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Was wondering what mods you guys would recommend too (just bought the Steam version, completed it originally on the 360)

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I never played it the first time round and was considering it for a changed from fps. I would also like some recommendations on mods though not too many and still leave the game play fairly vanilla...

9. Gh0stDrag0n

10. Gh0stDrag0n

11. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

yeah, its a game that really does need to be modded up. As on its own i found it a bit too restricting in a lot of ways, but modded up it becomes great.

Few of the big mods i would recommend:

Midas magic: Adds a load of new powerful, but quite difficult to get spells (and very fun spells)
    Deadly reflexs: Adds things like shield bashing, makes combat a bit more involved than "run backwards and mash attack"
    no psychic guards: stops the guards seemingly carrying palantir' in thier pockets, and they only come after you for a crime if they see you do it, or hears a civilian scream.
    Curse of Hircine: Adds a feature similar to Vampirism, except with werewolves. Very cool. Although if you are a werewolf, you will need to turn it off to do some of the thieves guild quests (meeting @ night = quite hard as a werewolf :p)

Edit: for what it's worth, i feel fallout 3 is a much better game overall (especially when modded)

12. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Thanks!

Just pushing it a bit there... a bit like me! :D

I also have most of them, what's OMG?

:clap: A true Oblivion modder...

You saw that previous post? Get it on the PC and mod the [plugins?] off it!

Again, look at that post by Gh0stDrag0n,
    FCOM (not for new mod users), Open Better Cities, Unique Landscapes, Deadly Reflex, Cobl... :jawdrop:

Ditto :thumb:

You can never have too many mods (unless you pass the 255 mod limit, don't use the ghosting feature in bash or Oblivion packs up on you and you end up reinstalling it 101 times :wallbash:)

The website for mods

You should set this in the bashed patches Tweak Settings. Also, look into Reneer's Guard Overhaul

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

FCOM. It's a pain to install, but it makes it more morrowind esque.

14. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I think it's those things. I should try it with mods. Are there any that drastically change the combat, and the way the main quest works?

15. Gh0stDrag0n

Origin of the Mages Guild

16. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

Installed Oblivion the other week to play through again, only got a couple of mods downloaded at the moment (Natural Environments, Adventures Mod) but will try to add more.

17. Nowell @ CCL

Nowell @ CCL CCL Customer Services

Mods broke the game for me... the AI got stuck etc.. what a joke!

Without mods it's very good but i would prefer to play with the hi res textures mod atleast.

18. Gh0stDrag0n

Here are a few programs that are a must have for playing Oblivion with mods.
    Oblivion Mod Manager http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2097
    Oblivion Script Extender http://obse.silverlock.org/
    Wyre Bash http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=22368
    Better Oblivion Sorting Software http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=20516

Most conflicts that crash the game are due to load order issues, missing files, or mods that are not compatible.

There are also unofficial patches that fix a lot of game bugs.
    Unofficial Oblivion Patch http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5296
    Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=10739
    Unofficial Official Mods Patch http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=9969

lp rob1 and robots like this.
  19. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

And UOP Supplemental

20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I still play it, but as someone who's explored it inside out I can authoritatively say that the level/skill system is absolutely broken. You can still make it work for you, but the surest way to do so is to build your character the wrong way around, as I have done this play through.

I'm not sure how they managed to make such a broken levelling system, really. They did it fine in 2001 with Morrowind.