1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News THQ Humble Bundle launches

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 3 Dec 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Bargain-tastic!

3. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Bought two last week :p

4. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Definitely a bargain. Been meaning to pick up Metro 2033 and the Company of Heroes games at some point!

5. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I know THQ need the money at the moment but the bundle basically shows that the Humble Bundle team are willing to throw away their own values of cross-platform support and no DRM. Losing cross-platform support is one thing but requiring DRM? What is the point of the Humble Bundle if it just ends up being another pay what you want scheme?

6. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Sorry for being behind the times but I still don't get how these humble bundles work. If I buy one do I download through steam for my pc and it's also available on my android devices (provided there is availability) ? or is it just downloadable as an exe or whatever and needs backed up to disc ?

7. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

If the game is available on PC, MAC and android you get the installation files for all 3 formats. You get DRM free installation files and if you pay over the average you get the steam keys also.

It's great! I've bought all of them so far.

8. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

So steam keys are always included if you pay over the current average donation ?

9. rollo

rollo Modder

i paid $5.70cent got saints row the third have every other game so i basically donated for that one title.

set it all to the charity as well

10. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Bit the bullet and went for it, it's for charity anyway !

Thanks for info scott_chegg.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I don't think there is any relation to what you pay if you get steam keys or not,

It says steam is required... so it has to include steam keys, no matter what you choose to pay.

12. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Usually you only get Steam keys if you pay over $1 but this is a completely different kind of bundle so you get Steam keys no matter what price you pay.

Not for this deal, you get Steam keys for any purchase, it's Windows only and there's some DRM.

This is a big side step from what the humble bundles are usually all about as Aracos says above.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

14. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

This one is different in that it's Steam-only (Steam being the DRM. And you can't gift them if you already own them...but could you give away the previously-owned copy, I wonder?) Typically they do all-indie, all-cross-platform, no DRM. Seems they usually throw some sort of bone for paying more than average - extra game, soundtracks, Steam keys, what have you.

For all the whining about how Humble Bundle are destroying themselves...this has been the fastest-selling yet. No cross-platform? Cry to THQ about that (although they can hardly afford anybody to port 7 games to Mac and Linux...for their combined 11% worldwide marketshare.)

I love the idea of the Humble Bundle, and got 5 and 6. I've played a grand total of maybe two hours, and can't even recall what most of the games are (and have only installed maybe three of the 12 or so that I got.) In principle, sure, cross-platform is nice, but most people are Windows-only. No DRM would be lovely, but Steam's about as light as it gets.

I threw 'em $15 and just finished downloading Saint's Row the Third (if I hadn't, I would have been on the lookout for it come the Steam Christmas sale.) I've got another half-dozen games waiting in the wings, too. I split it $2 to Humble, $13 to charity, dick to THQ (they've made their money, after all.)

Not a bad deal at all, I'd say - maybe they can rename it something other than Humble to shut the whiners up, but I have no problem with the HB guys going for more AAA content.

15. sygitius

sygitius What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the head´s up

16. SimonStern

SimonStern Registered Lurker

Just got it, thanks for the info.

Gave most to charity, split the rest between the other two. May get another for gifting :)

17. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Before I start this post please understand this is not a personal dig and I am not attacking you in anyway. This is a genuine question followed only by my personal opinion I understand people will disagree and that's fine. I'm not trying to tell you what to do at all.

Could you explain how THQ have made their money from your purchases already? Maybe I missed something but I thought that THQ allowed the deal to help them boost sales. Boosted sales then equals more money for future games.

If you mean they have made enough money already from sales then that's a strange road for your thoughts to go down and can be used to justify theft.

The Dawn of War series is one of my favourite and I really can't wait for DoW3. These are games I have really got my moneys worth out of. I really don't know where the hate (or apparent hate) for THQ has come from. Did I miss something or have publishers such as EA and Ubisoft soured public opinion against the whole industry?

Also everyone seems to be giving more to charity than HumbleBundle who brought you the deal and will do again if they stay around, therefore they need your money. Why?

I worked in the charity sector, from hands on work to admin to organisation, for about 10 years and to be honest I will never give money to charity now except a very select few whom I understand the running of in more detail.

Most charities are huge bureaucracies with lots of self serving people (there are always the special few, but it is always only a few). If I really want to help a cause now, I go and help that cause with my time. I feel giving money just helps people ease the guilt they feel for their luck and privilege. Most of the money is not used efficiently and is wasted.

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It just keeps getting better.

got an email from humble bundle, now they also toss in Titan quest as well as the red faction armageddon expansion path to war.

If you already bought it, you can just get the keys from their website for free, if not purchased yet, pay above average to get them for free.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Another game was added to the bundle, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War, if you already bought the bundle, you can just get the key from their website for free, if not purchased yet, pay above average to get it for free.

Tags: Add Tags