1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Evolutionary

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Franklin, 29 Nov 2006.

1. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

[​IMG]

Hi guys. Some of you will remember me of the casemod AlumaxX.

[​IMG]

I won the Dutch casemod championship with it. Today I will start with something new, not a casemod but a custom build case. Some people told me they thought it was easier to mod an existing case then to build one yourself. I think it is easier to build it yourself and to prove it I will start building one :naughty:

I found some sponsors for this project, so that's why I can already start a new project.

Bill Donnelly from Sapphire gave me a very nice white motherboard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Bill :thumb: :thumb:

[​IMG]

Alex Chen from A.C. Ryan send me a huge box with casemod materials :jawdrop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Alex Chen from A.C. Ryan :clap: :clap: :clap:

[​IMG]

Powersupply was a price at the Dutch casemod championship

[​IMG]

Also think about using a PSone screen. It is not an original thing to do but it still is something that looks very cool. The screen itself is nothing special anymore, but the way I want to use it will be :naughty: :naughty:

[​IMG]

I will use alumium profiles (25mm x 25mm.) to build a skeleton for the case.

[​IMG]

and these profiles will be attached to each other with this sort of things ( don't know what the english name is )

[​IMG]

The aluminium skeleton/ frame will look something like this

[​IMG]

The aluminium has arrived today, so that's why I start this worklog today. I ordered the aluminium one month ago, so I had more then enough time to work the plans out. Started thinking and sketching three months ago.

[​IMG]

My trip to Australia last summer gave me some inspiration. In Sydney I saw the Oprah House and I think everyone knows what it looks like. This is what the outtakes on top of the case will look like.

[​IMG]

It's a sideview and a topview. What is my goal for this mod?
    First of all I want to spend much time on all the details. I'm going to watercool the videocard(s) and the CPU. The radiator will be mounted inside the case, but the airflow will be seperated from the airflow within the case. The motherboard and videocard will be in a seperated compartment from the powersupply and the harddisks. The cooling will be very important in this mod, more important than silence. I think I will not use the small bore stuff from Aquacomputer this time. Everything will be controlled with an Aquacomputer Aquaero

[​IMG]

The colors I will use are black ( lots of it) white, grey and a touch of orange.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2008
  2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The general shape looks like one of those weights we used to use for deadlifting

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Looking forward! I guess many of us would be pleased to get that pile of material :eek:

4. arkadur

arkadur What's a Dremel?

look great and promessing (like AlumaxX)
    waiting for updates
    (i feel that this project going to surprise too even more) :)

5. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Great, I've been wondering when you're going to be back with another one :thumb:

That about sums it all up :hehe:

Janne

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wow not bad, Im hoping to get some sponsors a lot of the reason why I joined this forum as I notice a lot of companies look at this forum more often then others ^^

Well cant wait to see how this goes.

7. customh

customh conflagration.

I have also been waiting for your next one Franklin, I simply can't wait for some modding to be seen.

8. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

im s000ooo curious bout wat u gonna wit tat psOne screen =D

9. forester joe

forester joe shhh. can you hear your PC?

I guess we are in for a treat.
    looking forward

10. Trash_Master

Trash_Master Fire in the hole!!

this will be one badas* tower when we look at your prev case :D GOGO we want to se some progress :D

11. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

he's at it again...woohooo

12. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Loving that motherboard! :p Can't wait to see what you do with the other components.

13. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

jokkos said it :p
    The first think i tought about when I started reading the first post was that celebrity guy from
    the Simpson's that is always on tv and starting with the frase; "Hi, I'm Troy McLure(?)"
    I hope that that wasnt mentioned to be becus if it was then I'll probably me very embarresed right now :duh: :worried:

14. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Started with the frame tonight. First I had to saw the aluminium profiles to the needed sizes. Just like in the previous mod I will use a lot of handtools.

[​IMG]

The first step is to saw the profiles for the horizontal layers of the frame and connect the pieces with these parts. These things can be pushed into the aluminium profiles. Very easy and it looks clean, no parts or screws sticking out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the bottom of the photograph from the frame you can see four sketches, these are the horizontal layers I will need. The first three layers are ready now and can be seen in the picture above. Tomorrow I will finish the fourth layer and after that I'll have to cut the profiles that will connect these four pieces, so that it will look like this

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Dec 2007
  15. customh

customh conflagration.

Awesome!! Good to see this starting up. Knowing you I am sure you will make those plastic thingys not look so tacky...

16. vitriol_drinker

vitriol_drinker What's a Dremel?

Subscribed.

17. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

nice, will follow

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I loved AlumaxX, good luck making it all work out, I'm subscribing!

Maybe watching you build yours will give me ideas on how to build by own case :D

Also, does anyone else think that's a sexy mobo? :naughty:

19. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Wow, I wish I had friends like that at AC Ryan!

I'm eager to see more!

20. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Almost finished the frame. This is what it looks like right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I got further with the frame I noticed that I was short of one piece, I had ordered 12 of these pieces

[​IMG]

but there only 11 of them in the box :waah: So I will have to contact the webshop for that. Don't know how long it will take for that thing to arrive here. I also will have to cut one more aluminium profile. So I only will need these things to finish the frame.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Dec 2007