1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 23 Sep 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

4.54billionyears likes this.
  2. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Yeah that last paragraph was pretty my thoughts in the form of words. I knew I was gonna wait a bit before making a purchase but after the overwhelming 'that's it?', the wait will be bearable. Why are there no details on the eyefinity card(s)?

Last edited: 23 Sep 2009
  3. Yoy0YO

Yoy0YO Lurky Lurker

Damn you! I took the liberty of reading it first. I'm Truly impressed with the power consumption. Like, Extremely. Its kinda unfortunate that the FPS that it pumps out isn't the best. Yet.

4. p-dawg86

p-dawg86 What's a Dremel?

That power consumption is amazing! Man I wish I had the money to upgrade to an AM3...

5. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

While the power consumption of this card is nothing short of delicious, it's rather disgusting performance in FO3 sort of sours it.

6. trig

trig god's little mistake

i hate....truly hate...the new graph heirarchy you guys use now. my personal preference would be to see them ranked primarily on average and then on minimum like it used to be. but when i see two cards have the same minimum, and the card with the better average is below the other one(crysis benchmark, 1680x1050, 4xaa)...thats just....ugh

7. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

@trig: Yeah, it was a little confusing to read at first.

@Yoy0YO: >XD

on sale already $379 USD, stopped by newegg to check the prices and the current landscape the especially with gtx 295 is already shifting, some of them are being slashed from 529 to 469. I'm gonna guess that the 285 is gonna drop about $150 less than what it sells for currently.

8. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

meh - not really impressed that much. Not as earth shattering as the internets were predicting, and probably not worth renting a battleship for either to hold a press conference.

9. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I'm slightly underwhelmed, maybe it's because I was expecting the leap in performance from the 4 series. Oh well, maybe it'll get better with good drivers? If not then I don't think it's worth shelling out £300 when you can shell out less than £200 for a 4870X2 right now =\

10. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

The massive card PCB combined with the low power consumption make the design seem rather curious. How much more performance do they plan to eke out of their cards while using that monster of a PCB and heat sink? Definitely doesn't appear to be worth the investment just yet, but if there's very much performance to be had with improved drivers, or from the 2GB RAM version of the card, you'll have my undivided attention. ;)

11. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

they need to go with 512bit and 2gb memory. then run 4 of them in crossfire!

12. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

I liked it when you were posting Crysis Very High results along with the High. You guys did it for a bunch of reviews then stopped. At this stage in the game people buying a high end GFX card want to know how the card performs in Crysis Very High. bit-tech is the only site I know of that gave Crysis Very High benches that were representative of actual gameplay performance. Now there is no way to get that information. Far Cry 2 scores are also missing from your last few reviews.

Very disappointed that the reviews are being cut back in terms of detail. I can't imagine it could have been all that hard to change the setting and run the test one more time.

13. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

wait, the card is 28cm long?
    Anand is reporting it at 10" though, and you guys at 11 :confused:

Could you please include the measurements of the card in mm, and also the measurements of just the PCB? The batmobile-stuff makes it a few mm longer then it already is i suppose, that could explain the difference...

Oh, and kudos for including the A-team and batman pictures :thumb:

14. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

good god man u guyz have one

but will it run crysis

15. RedDevil

RedDevil What's a Dremel?

Slightly disappointed by the performance I was expecting some more oomph from the card even with beta drivers. At this moment in time I certainly don't see this warranting the +300 price tag but that's just me a tight git :p my Xfire 4890 seem to be ok for now at least.

16. RedDevil

RedDevil What's a Dremel?

Ok just seen some places list them being in stock and the price is £298 including VAT which is not bad but I think i'll wait for the X2 version hopefully that will make me open my wallet up and buy two :p

17. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

The "ork-like minion" is a gammorean guard; you n00bs!

18. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

@ OWNED66 - read the article!

nice card, i hate the design, love the power consumption. I am hopeful that new drivers will provide some improvement but i also reckon that because its a new gpu it'll take a while to get it all running right, plus we dont know what its performance will be like in an dx11 game and that is afterall where it is aimed at!

I think i'll be staying with my oc'd/wc'd 4890 at 1000mhz core and 1200mhz mem. for the time being.

peace

f.

oh and side note. you guys keep mentioning a cpu bottle neck, why not have an overclocked i7 and see where the fps really end up as i figure that alot of guys on here will have oc'd rigs as it is. just a though

19. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

Just checked a 5870 review on legitreviews
    strangely its much better than bit-tech

20. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

I must say that im really disapointed with this review.
    Im really stumped that you didnt show us the Ateam version cooler and specially how it plugs into the pci-e socket :p

Seriously though, although the power consumption is much better for ati cards, im not really impressed with performance though, although the batmobile thing is kinda cool!

Tags: Add Tags