1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft Stops Vista Torrent Downloads

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Jun 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Happened a while ago, but I managed to snag the x64 torrent from vistatorrent before it was shut down. After I got 96% done downloading it directly from MS and then having it crash out on me. :rolleyes: Whatever, I'm still seeding it. Still haven't bothered using it yet though... need to get another (!) hard drive before I worry about playing around with a buggy beta version of OSX minus the useful stuff.

3. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

thats microsoft for you. they screw even the people trying to help them.

4. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

not really bender, they cant, as they said, make sure the torrent is gunuine. Anyone could modify the ISO and share it again leading to a large wave of hacked vista Beta PCs -- that wont look good at all for MS, and no one will listen when they say it is not their fault.

The only way they could get it to work is by doing md5 hashes / or others of the iso, however this is no real guarantee.

They are clearly just being as carefull as they can be, and you really can not blame them!

5. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

i dont undestand the problem, it just takes more load off microsofts servers, i bet their just upset they didnt think of it first

6. SeBbY_007

SeBbY_007 What's a Dremel?

Like Buzzons said, imagine if one of the torrents was modified in such a way it contained a virus, spyware etc. Then this maybe caused people to lose data, people would be up in arms complaining to Microsoft, resulting in bad publicity, as if they need anymore. Sure the morals were good of the people who set the site up, but do you think if you were in Microsoft position you would allow it?

Microsoft are doing everyone a good deal anyway, they are practically giving an Operating System away, so it may contain bugs. Why can Microsoft never do any good in most people's eyes? :rolleyes:

7. yahooadam

so what, that's a risk with all torrents isn't it, why is vista any different
    They shouldn't endorse the torrent, or they should distribute the torrent file, but issuing a cease and desist order to the site supplying their OS
    And especially when their not providing it because their servers cannot handle it

8. cpu121

cpu121 What's a Dremel?

But you're still going to get ignorant people who blame the problems caused by a virus in the torrent on Microsoft no matter how many disclaimers there are. Microsoft are simply doing this to protect their reputation and the reputation of Vista.

9. yahooadam

but then again you can blame windows for a whole host of things, people haven't bitched about torrents having viruses before, why would a vista torrent be any different ... why should it, if the torrent site has a disclaimer, you should read and achknowledge it, how you can blame MS is beyond me

10. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I can't see the point in the Vista torrent when you can get it direct from MS with a license key and a much faster download rate :confused:
    My copy downloaded at quite a healthy ~650K throughout.

11. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

This is such a total REPOST :p ;)

12. yahooadam

you cant, they stopped it, hence the site was created
    MS's servers were getting so hammered they had to stop (or slow) the downloads

13. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I see, didn't realise that.

Tags: Add Tags