1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is the BBC general news site more up to date than Bit-Tech for tech news??

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by greypilgers, 8 Jan 2013.

1. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Probably because the BBC has thousands of technology staff all over the world, whereas Bit makes do with a handful of freelancers and a hamster in a wheel powering the server.

The forums are your friend though. If it's not in the news or reviews we just get on and do it ourselves :thumb:

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Agreed...he speaketh the truth :D

4. greypilgers

Thousands of tech staff all over the world, yes, but this was news about the Valve Console, from the CES show, which I expected Bit-Tech to be covering...

:D

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Because bit only has one news guy and he'd done his 3 or 4 stories for the day. I expect it'll be here tomorrow with more detail or background than the beeb, bit is usually a day so behind but with better coverage. Suits me tbh up to the minute gossip and speculation can be found any where...

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Because the Beeb - and a whole host of other sites - have jumped the gun. Here, have a look at the press release: note that there is absolutely zero comment from Valve. Xi3 has not announced a partnership with Valve, nor has it announced that the device it has unveiled - a compact PC described as a development-stage product, not a launch-ready retail product - is the long-awaited Steam Box. The company has stated it has received "investment" from Valve, but not what form that investment has taken.

Until Valve says it's the Steam Box, it's just another compact form-factor PC that can run Steam - and there are plenty of those around.

The most important line from the press release, just in case you missed it: "No additional details about Xi3's new system or Valve's investment in Xi3 will be released at this time." No additional details = no news story. When there are additional details - i.e. there's actually something to write about - we'll cover it. Until then, we'll leave it to the rumour-mongers and click-whores at the Beeb and elsewhere.

In short: don't mistake "complete failure to do any research into a story or even to verify information from a press release" with "more up-to-date."

Blademrk likes this.
  7. greypilgers

I happily stand corrected... You, sir, are an oak!
    :thumb:

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Aw, Gareth. That's possibly the most polite pwnage I've seen in a while. A tip of the hat to you, sir.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And now that there is additional information available, here's the more in-depth coverage for which you were hoping. Note that it basically points out that the BBC article was, to put it bluntly, hogwash. That's what you get when you don't fact-check and just rush to put up articles as quickly as possible.

10. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I usually find it's the BBC that tend to be behind the times regarding technology - my dad watched BBC Click yesterday and proceeded to tell me smugly about the YotaPhone and its E-Ink display as well as the German-built laser defence system.

Imagine his dismay when I told him I read about both last month! :p