1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Blank monitor!?! -old GPU?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Obsidianflame, 3 Oct 2009.

1. Obsidianflame

Obsidianflame What's a Dremel?

Firstly, hello everyone, this is my first post so my apologies if its in the worng section, im unclear etc...

Anywho, this is my first build so any advice would be appreciated..

i have just finished the first stage of my build, and have the following parts put together on my desk with no case,

Asus p6t dlx v.2
    intel 920 d/o
    Corsair dom 6gb 1600
    enermax psu
    samsung f1 1tb
    sony opt drive

my plan was to take the old GPU (a Zotac Geforce 6200) [​IMG]from my old (i mean old, AMD palomino 1500+) rig and just use that to display an image till i buy one of the new DX11 GPU's next month.
    The problem is when it fires up, i get no image on my monitor. The whole thing "works" all the fans are going, mobo lights on, etc but no image, and the monitor says "no signal".
    I decided to start cable managing anyway and put the mobo in the case just to see where to start running things, but when i came to try to put the GPU in it will not fit, the card is offset from the bit it pokes out of (that is a poor explanation) not the pci-e slots, but where you would plug your monitor into, it wont fit into that slot without bending the card to the side.
    This got me thinking...is my gpu just to old to work with this mother board -as it only takes up about half the slot ?? or is it some other part (someone suggested RAM?)?? if so...what is the cheapest possible gpu i can put in here till they release the DX11's...
    thanks in advance!

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

thats a agp card XD don't stick it in there whatever you do

3. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Yes, putting it in and firing it up will most likely kill the mobo and the card.

Really surprises me that it fits in the PCI-E slot, though.

Could you please show us a pic of how it fits?

4. ffjason

ffjason What's a Dremel?

5. Obsidianflame

Thanks guys, though i have already put the card in and fired the mobo up...do you recon it would have killed it? The system still fires up without it..Well worst comes to worst i have Scansure out on them... Yeh the AGP fits easily into the pci slot, so i kinda assumed it would work, bad move i guess. Thanks for the advice, i have a cheap Radeon HD4650 i managed to get for £42 off scan coming in 2 days so i can see if the system is actually damaged. II just need the thing to display an image till the new DX11 cards come out.

6. Obsidianflame

Actually managed to find a XFX Geforce 7900 GTX for £40 in the local pawn shop :) (im not sure how a crackhead would manage to steal one of these but...fair play! lol) So my pc works..thanks again for your help.