1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 600 series BIOS modding/flashing guide

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dead beat, 3 Mar 2013.

1. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I posted this in TG's GTX 670 SLI thread in response to a post made by Blogins. However, there's a possibility that not everyone whom this may interest would read all the way through that thread, so I thought I might as well add it as a standalone topic. Anyway, down to business....

600 series firmware modifier - http://www.v3dt.com/nvidia/600/

This is pretty straight forward to do. If your cards voltage is limited to 1.15v (or whatever the figure is), then this will let you increase it up to 1.213v. That may well free up some more overclocking potential. There are also other features in that piece of software.

You will need a copy of your original bios file which you can grab through GPU-Z. Make sure it is saved as a .rom file.

Alternatively.....

Kepler Golden Bios (KGB) editing tool - https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsxyvofr1idazhm/kgb_0.6.2.zip

This is a console application run via command prompt. To unlock your bios you will need to enter the following:

kgb.exe your_bios_name.rom unlock *(be sure to have a copy of your original bios file).

It will unlock the card to 150% Power, Voltage 1.1875v (1.2125v boost), and fan range 30% - 100% (You can now define these values in the kgb.cfg file).

The flashing process

- Download and extract NVflash into a folder from this link - http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2133/NVFlash_5.118_for_Windows.html

- Make sure that you place your modded bios file into the same folder as NVflash.

- Now shift+ right click in the folder and click "open command window here" then type the following commands, with appropriate spacing:

Nvflash --protectoff

Nvflash -4 -5 -6 modded_bios_name.rom *(note that you will need to put whatever you named your modded bios file)

For multi gpu setups, NVflash will automatically detect additional cards and ask you if you would like to flash these as well.

Once that's all done you should be able to reboot with your new bios on the card/s.

Oh and please remember that you mod your bios at your own risk. That said, if there is a problem during the flashing process and you lose functionality of your GPU/s, it is not the end of the world. Provided you have an alternative means of video output, you can flash the card/s back to the original bios using NVflash.

Please also remember the implications that this process may have on your manufacturers warranty.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2013
    David likes this.
  2. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

3. dead beat

If you had flaky results with KGB, then the most likely scenario is that the unlock was causing your GPU to boost beyond stable. In this instance you would need to lower the base clock to compensate.

I used to be a member on the MVKTech forums, but they are no longer active.

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

There is a massive thread dedicated to mod BIOSes for the 600 series on overclock.net, but the BIOS for my card (reference 670) sets default clocks so high that you MUST run EVGA Precision (or something similar) at startup to downclock it.

However, after playing around, I found that the extra voltage extended the max overclock by 60MHz on the GPU clock, compared to the standard BIOS.

Thanks for the link, Dead beat, I look forward to having a play around with it. :thumb:

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

yup extra voltage got me about the same, not really worth it TBH, gains seem to come from memory overclocks moreso the core speed as 1.25Ghz vs 1.3Ghz isn't really a big jump.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yes, the big gains do come from memory overclocks - mine will hit 7,500MHz, a 25% overclock - but an extra 50-60MHz boost on the core is nothing to sniff at. It still makes a noticeable difference in the benchies. :)

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

This is the route I went, but it is not as straight cut as it sounds.

This is my guide how to do it properly! I have set the max boost to 1100MHz as everyone should be stable at that.

1, Download file from the above link

2, Extract the files into Start\Your name as pictured below
    [​IMG]

2A, Copy and paste the code below in the KGP.CFG file overwriting everything in it.

Code:
    # EXPERIMENTAL: This Setting makes the checksum calculate to 
    # the same value it originally was by manipulating an unused 
    # section of the bois. This may be needed for the new style
    # UEFI vbios. Set this to 1 if you want to preserve the orig
    # checksum. Set to 0 for the previous behavior of re-calculating
    # the checksum. NOTE: if you're not having driver detection 
    # problems leave this at 0.
    #
    Preserve_Original_Checksum = 0

# Fan settings
    Fan_Min = 30
    Fan_Max = 100

# Board power settings
    Max_Power_Target = 200

# Max Boost Frequency. Uncomment this if you want to change the
    # maximum frequency your card will boost to.
    Max_Boost_Freq = 1100

# WARNING:
    # The following are valid voltages. I suggest you 
    # use these values rather than coming up with your 
    # own. 1212500 is the max and it is normally hard limited. 
    # If you go over the max and your board is hard limited
    # you may actually get a much lower voltage than you
    # expect.
    #
    # Voltage = 1212500
    # Voltage = 1200000
    Voltage = 1212500
    # Voltage = 1175000
    # Voltage = 1162500
    # Voltage = 1150000
    3, Download this version of GPUZ and save the VBIOS file to the same loacation as above, then save another and save this to your Desktop (Backup Original). http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/at...2&d=1344772659
    [​IMG]

3A, Re name the vbios you saved in 'your name window' to 660, 670, 680 or 690 depending on which GPU you are flashing.

4, Click Start, and type CMD into the search bar and open Command prompt.

5, Type into command prompt: KGP 670.rom unlock or what ever your .rom is called '680.rom 690.rom etc. Now Press enter.

6, Download NVflash http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2165/NVFlash_5.127.html

7, Make a DOS bootable USB Stick (Here's a guide http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/46707-ms-dos-bootable-flash-drive-create.html)

8, Put both files from the NVFlash folder on the DOS bootable USB stick. Then add your new VBIOS, and your original vbios to your USB stick like pictured below.
    [​IMG]

9, Restart, and select boot from USB stick in your motherboard bios.

10, Now type NVFlash --list This will tell you what adapter no. your card is, if you are using multiple cards.

11, Now type NVFlash -i1 670.rom or what ever your .rom file is called. Use -i1 for adapter 1, -i2 for adapter 2, and so on. Then press enter, and then Y to confirm. Once complete use keys Ctrl Alt Del to reboot.

Cheers,

Simon.

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Mar 2013
  8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Lots of fuss compared to KeplerBiosTweaker which is worth a search.

If you've used the Fermi Bios Editor then it's near enough the same user interface!

[​IMG]

9. dead beat

Yes that resembles Nibitor of old. Looks like a very straightforward way of doing it.

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

But people can still mess up their GPU's with that tool if they don't know what they are doing...;)

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

True. Think I'll wait until the GTX 670 is a little dated before messing with my BIOS!

ala GTX 460 :D ...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=220423

12. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Wasn't that, just didn't seem to like it. The boost was no where near what the cards would OC too I just couldn't get as high a OC from that method as using the unlocked bios from overclock.net

The KGB route also caused power spikes to 260 on the gpu but the overclock bios didn't have this issue and would clock higher???

Shame to hear about MVKtech :sigh: what happened.

As for flashing the bios's i use the same way as you dead beat, command prompt from windows.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2013
  13. law99

law99 Custom User Title

All that thread does in compound the feeling inside me that I should have gone for a GTX 670. :(

The grass is greener on the other side it seems.