1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will it cope?

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Neogumbercules, 2 Jun 2014.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Some of you may have seen my thread here. I am currently planning on using 2 medium RPM Yate Loon fans and a 30mm thick radiator with a 140ml resevoir and an mcp-655.

I wonder though if that's enough radiator to cool the R290 and the 4670k. I've never done a WC build before and space is at a premium so I need to make sure I plan it all out so I don't end up disappointed.

2. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

What is the size of the radiator? I'd say that's pushing the boat.. Way out to sea.

Completely didn't read the thread and recognise it's who this was.. :') Corsair managed to build a loop:

Their temps were about 50* for the GPU and 80* for the CPU at load.. On an overclock.

Should be fine! :thumb:

Last edited: 3 Jun 2014
  3. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

For reference, the stock temps were the same 50(ish)* and the CPU was about 60*.. This is all from memory, so +/-3*..

And since you'd be using an i5, I think that'd make less heat? Dont quote me on that though! :hehe:

4. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I'm running an i5-3570K with a mild overclock, and a R290 (not X), I'm using the same EK waterblock as you (they're nice aren't they?). I was just using a single 120x240x50mm rad and it wasn't quite enough under full load, the GPU was somewhere up over 70 degrees, but I think that might have been too much for it as it would blackscreen and lock up.
    It's definitely the GPU that's producing all the heat, in older games like L4D2 it's fine, but on something like BioShock Infinite it'll overheat after about 4-5 hours.
    I think that with faster fans and/or better airflow it might be enough, but I've added another 120mm rad at the back to mine, and it's running fine now.

Basically you're going to be cutting it really fine, I'd give it a go, and if your temps are getting too high or you're having problems then maybe putting higher airflow fans will tame the 290?

5. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

It will work,if its a 240 rad and not a 120 with P/P.

6. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Wow I completely forgot that I even made this thread. Thanks for the replies everyone. Turns out I'm going for 3 radiators. A 240 in the side mount and a 140 in the front. Still sticking with the medium speed yate loon fans.

They are 29.2mm thickness and 30FPI coolance copper radiators.