1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Intel NUC Design-Only Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Combatus, 2 Dec 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Hi all. As requested by GuilleAcoustic, there are a few of you that are keen to create some case designs as part of our Intel NUC Case Design Competition 2014 , but don't have the wherewithal to create a physical case. SO! If, and only if you are NOT intending to enter stage two of the competition, please feel free to post your designs here and discuss them.

Please don't post your complete designs here if you intend to enter the competition - we'd like to keep those under wraps till the winners are announced.

We'll hopefully be able to showcase the designs shown here with Intel in later articles!

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Hello fellow 'techers, as I've been the one asking for this thread I'll at least post something.

I haven't had the change to spend much time on this, so please be indulgent as it is only a wip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This case is the fuse of an Nuc and an amp. The Nuc lies on the top comparment and is exposed throuh a smoked tempered glass.

Audio is carried by an internal USB DAC (not modeled sorry), connected to the USB header on the Intel NUC motherboard.

[​IMG]

The power amplification is done with the 2 mono amp boards. They use a simple but very efficient design called Gainclone.

The huge transformer at the bottom provides both weight to the case and juice to the amplification stage.

[​IMG]

The whole system is passively cooled. Both transistors and CPU are coupled to an aluminium heatsink and chassis.

I'll show proper render later :thumb:. I have several other design around the Nuc and audio goodness. Hope you like the idea.

3. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Thanks a lot jrs77. I guess it would require mu-metal sheets to isolate each area from the others. 1:1 isolation transformers would be handy too.