1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice PSU - Gold vs Silver vs Bronze?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AWScreo, 27 Jun 2014.

1. AWScreo

AWScreo What's a Dremel?

Hi all.

I've recently upgraded my old rig, but kept my old PSU (CoolerMaster 850w) and case. I already found a nice case I want to buy to replace my old one (FractalDesign Arc Midi R2). I was thinking to get a Crosair Gold 850W PSU, but just wanted to ask if I even need Gold certified? I will eventually buy another gpu to crossfire with my current one, and I'm going use this pc for gaming and working. Power efficiency wasn't my top priority to be honest, and I was mainly looking at Corsair PSU because its modular, and I read somewhere that a good PSU can help with overall stability of the system. But if I can save some money and get bronze/silver, that'd be great (captn. obvious here). Can anyone help me with an advise, and maybe suggest good PSU options for my rig?

Thanks in advance!

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Unless you need that much power check out the recent round-up of 550W - 650W psus that bit-tech did. The superflower one looks tasty!

Link

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

He wants another GPU to CF with his current one, but he doesn't state which GPU is currently owned.

The wattage depends entirely on the rest of the rig. So, give us some specs! :D

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

He asked for PSU options. :p

But ye specs would help.

Im sure the current psu would suffice, unless he really wants better efficiency.

5. AWScreo

AWScreo What's a Dremel?

Currently - Powercolor Devil 270x 2gb. So I was thiniking to grab another one of those. I run ADM FX 8350 cpu, 8gb ddr3 ram. Cooling is all stock for now, but I already have my eye set on a Tt Frio Advanced so I can try to overclock the cpu a bit (as I heard the 8350 is very easy to overclock, and quite stable too), and also getting a FractalDesign ARC Midi case, which comes with 3 fans (120mm). That should be it for overall power consumption. I found some calculator online, entered my specs (with future parts that I will add), and it showed that my system should consume about 620W under load. I didn't want to be so close to PSU limit with 650w psu, so thought 850w would give me enough headspace. I currently have a 5-6 year old coolermaster psu, just wanted to update that since i've basically replaced every single piece of my old hardware apart from psu and case :)