1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V7 client

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Scorpuk, 11 Dec 2014.

1. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Is there any benefit of running the v7 client in Linux for bigadv?

Still running v6 at the moment. :rolleyes:

Probably only a month or so left of bigadv. Booooo. :wallbash:

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Not really - The v7 client does download a new WU just before the end of the current one, but that's about it.
    I still use v6 for bigadv - I'll probably change to v7 once bigadv ends during January.

3. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

I was only thinking the same thing yesterday, mainly because im having random issues with my 32-thread Xeon box, keep getting random Client cant communicate with core 0x8b error in Ubuntu 10.04 which it has been running for last couple of years and cant work out why :(

Does Bigadv end in Jan does it Doc, is anything replacing it or is CPU folding going to become pointless for decent PPD soon? :(

4. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Sadly yes and nothing replacing it.

https://folding.stanford.edu/home/revised-plans-for-bigadv-ba-experiment/

5. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Cheers for the link mate thats sucks big time as I have 64 threads (2 x 32 thread rigs) going at it and I am not planning to go back to rigs running multiple GPU's like I used to back in the day as that was a nightmare and I just dont have the time these days :(

Ah well just have to see what happens when they switch back over to standard SMP and if its just not worth the power then time to sell up the Xeon rigs I guess :(

6. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

There is a recent comment on the Reddit Folding thread about what happens at the end of bigadv, and Vijay posted:
    "We are looking into setting up projects for large-core machines. The benchmarking would be done along the current SMP client benchmark scheme".

Last edited: 12 Dec 2014