1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sharkoon announces SilentStorm SFX PSUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Apr 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Would be great to see more companies get involved on the SFX scene. Having the likes of Seasonic, Corsair, Coolermaster, EVGA etc. (and naturally those who actually make the units for those brands) would really help to push the form factor forwards. Having more competition and options would be great, I'm sure that with the current push for mATX and ITX they would be successful. This is especially the case if hardware continues to become more power efficient, meaning for single card setups you lose the need for a large PSU (dimension wise) altogether. Whilst I know Silverstone has that corner covered, more alternatives is always nice.

Article related, who makes these Sharkoon units?

EDIT: It appears recently Sharkoon have used Channel Well Technology for their more recent PSUs, which is a very good OEM. Not if these units use them though, somebody else know?

Last edited: 21 Apr 2015
  3. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

This is virtually certain to be the same Sirfa/High Power design that Silverstone and Chieftec are using for their 500W SFX(-L) models.

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Any word on whether they use 'slim' power cables for these?, because in my experience a small PSU can be rendered almost useless if it still uses full size power cables when trying to fit everything into a mini-itx case, especially the likes of the Silverstone Milo range.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yes indeed. Plus it would drive costs down. I think it'll happen.

BeQuiet have released a whole heap of very nice units, but haven't really updated their line at all.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Yup. the ONLY SFX-L PSU that is not a rebrand of the Sirfa is the Dirac 550W/650W, which are the initial run of Silverstone's SX600-G (manufactured by Enhance) that failed to pass initial validation and got sent to liquidation, and the liquidator sold them on to Dirac who recased them in a larger case with a 92mm fan.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

That is some damn impressive PSU knowledge.

8. WiSK

WiSK What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately, it's not true. It was purely a guess of mine and entirely speculative. It turns out they manufactured and sold all of the units that I speculated were "recalled". They did update the design for Titan Z compatibility and that is now available as the V1.1 of the SX600-G.

(But it's kind of flattering that my words carry enough weight to be believed)

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

As I understand it (from Tony Ou's update) Sirfa manufacture both Silverstone's SX600-G, and the Dirac 5502/650w, and that both are the exact same design internally (i.e.. the Dirac Is a recased SX600-G). What is more speculative is whether that first batch of SX600-G boards that were rejected by Silverstone got reboxed, or truly were disposed of (with Dirac receiving a different batch of otherwise identical boards).

10. WiSK

WiSK What's a Dremel?

Just for emphasis: I made it up to fit the story, to explain the delay.

Apart from my "humorous" post, there is no evidence or even suggestion that actual PSUs were manufactured and then subsequently rejected to be resold or disposed.

Just because an OEM wants TitanZ compatibility, why dispose or resell units that have greater specs and a longer GPU compatibility list than the previous ST45SF-G?

If Silverstone had rejected the first batch for being not-TitanZ compatible, why then subsequently sell 10000 units that are not TitanZ compatible? (the V1.0 is not compatible)