1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling temps too high? Phenom II X4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ceryni, 9 Aug 2014.

1. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

My CPU is old I get it now shoo

problem is I upgraded from a xigmatek fan to a Phanteks PH-TC14CS.

Now my temps are about the same as they used to be. There is hardly a degree difference. I would have been happy with 5*C decrease.

Idle with fan controller case fans on High - 35*C
    Idle with FC case fans Low - 40*C

Don't know exact load temps but I expected my idle temps to at least be lower than that!

Anyone got any suggestions? I did the Thermal pasting to the best of my ability. I don't see how it's not more effective.

fuus likes this.
  2. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Biggest difference will be at load if there is one at all, maybe you're being limited my heat transfer from the chip to the cooler - in this instance there is nothing you can viably upgrade.

3. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

Ok thanks. The ambient room temp is about 25*C too. is 10-15 above room temp normal then?

Also what might be of interest is I switched the 460GTX to the HD 6850. It's is running almost silently now in comparison to the old xigmatek with 2x93mm push/pull and 460gtx. So much better.
    Cooler is a beast, I like the look of the funky top to bottom fan layout!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love making do with cheap/free things. lots to sell though.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2014
  4. rollo

rollo Modder

10-15 above room temp is a good result for most coolers.

In the winter you will see a lot cooler temps.

5. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Have you got Cool N Quiet enabled in the BIOS? When I had my Phenom II X4, the lowest it would go was about 30 degrees under a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced at 800MHz. Load temps with it overclocked to 3.8GHz were in the mid 50's.

6. doyll

doyll Minimodder

7. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

I don't think cool N quiet is enabled. I'll try that out?

I'm planning on OC'ing to 3.8 from 3.4 soon.

Any merit to OC'ing RAM?

8. rollo

rollo Modder

None outside of benchmarks.

9. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

Wait, should I have cool N quiet on or off?
    OC'd to 3.7 and its apparently running around the 48 mark under load. Haven't bothered properly testing it though.

its definitely hanging an average of 13*C above room temp doing simple tasks/idle

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Ive a X4 960BE and a dirty great air cooler, currently with the air temps and humidity ive been sat around +10c ambient in idle and it will vary when underload.

C&Q is enabled as is the boost option. im OC'd to 3.6 from 3Ghz with the boost set to 3.8. Temps cant say they have ever given me concern ill look later when im home an see what temps im getting.

11. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

These sound like good options to enable. I like the idea of boosting when I need to. I'd like to run at stock and boost to 3.8 (3.9 if i can push it that far on stock voltages)

I've seen so many OC threads full of jargon and I really cba with so much else to do.
    I just want someone to tell me simply an easy stable overclock, and i like the sound of those CnQ and Boost settings!!!

I'm not looking to squeeze loads out of my CPU. I know it handles 3.7 fine at the moment. but its giving me about 18*C above ambient with my case fans set on lowest. (roughly 5*C more than stock @ 3.4ghz)
    This is all doing simple tasks, 3 tabs on chrome, skype open, word documents for uni, a few pdf's and background programs like cputemp, sapphire trixx, raptr, flux...

I'm hoping to xfire with another used HD 6850 soon but I'm just concerned that there will be a little too much hot air in there.

My case doesn't have the best cooling I'll be honest. Eventually I plan to mod it for much improved cooling and airflow.
    Only 1x120mm in and 1 x 120mm out for the main part of my case
    and another 1x120mm intake for hard drives and PSU

I usually drop 5*C when my fans are on max on the controller, but its noisier.

There is nowhere else to put fans. There is only one intake and one exhaust. And I had to buy the Intake as an aftermarket part to put in the flex bays!