1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Mince Pie Megatest 2011

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 1 Dec 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

A+++ would read again

Is there going to be a mince pie podcast?

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Highlight of the Bit-Tech year!

Waitrose All-Butter for me, I'll be flbberghasted if I don't see the Bit-Tech seal of approval on the box from now on, it's clearly worth advertising such a prestigious achievement.

4. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I've never tried a Mincepie...about time I did..

5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

If there are any mince pie fans out there, the Greggs ones are also worth a look. Sadly they weren't around when we did the test!

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Shame! I'll repeat my claim that Lidl mince pies are up there with the finest, although I've yet to try this year's crop.

I'll have to give the Waitrose ones a try though, they look decent. A true bit-tech staple for the xmas season. :D

7. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

How do they OVERCLOCK....good ???

8. spaceman1

spaceman1 What's a Dremel?

Home made are the best jest made 75 so far and dont think they will be around much longer with the kids

9. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Glad that the waitrose all butter won the approved award. Got a local one in town and it was getting a bit silly having to drive 15 miles to the nearest Marks and Sparks to get my mince pies for the last couple of years :p

10. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Will definitely be popping to Waitrose to try their pies.

I think you should expand the mince pies test tbh, 10 just aren't enough. There aren't many Selfridges around the country, and most supermarkets have at least 2 own-brand versions. I know there was a reason given for Sainsbury's being absent, but I need more testing to be sure I'm getting the best pies!

11. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Looks like someone bet them to the testing, all the pie boxes are open and the Fortnum ones definitely has one missing!

Any chance of a review on Christmas Puddings? Have just bough a couple from my local co-op and can't wait to tuck in to them. Any suggestions on a good topping to pour over them?

12. Risky

Risky Modder

DIY for me. I still have a couple of jars of mincemeat from last year. Alas my preferred shortcrust pastry recipie seems have disappered from the net so I'll have to use the fussier one from with icing sugar instead of caster....

13. barbary

barbary What's a Dremel?

Really is nobody going to say it.

But will they run Crysis?

14. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Thanks for including a Gluten Free option in your roundup. Unfortunately they are representative of gluten free breaded / Patry based products as a whole. Dry and lacking flavour but RAMMED with sugar and fat.

It is getting quite annoying to find decent Gluten free products that are also "healthy" (yay for heart/liver condition as well as being a Coeliac! :rolleyes:). Most products are either crap or very high in sugar.

One comment I would say though, sometimes the quality can vary from batch to batch. I have had Tesco (DS own brand) Gluten Free Apple pies before that have been lovely whilst others bought a few weeks after (same brand) were awful.

15. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

But can it play Crystmas?

16. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Look NO further maybe?
    Nutmeg maybe?

S'all I spotted. Merry Christmas Bit-Tubbies! :naughty:

17. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

Oh bugger. Beaten to it! ;)

18. Sensei

Sensei What's a Dremel?

This is what its all about, this is why Im such an avid follower. The ultimate review of the year brought to us from the people who's opinions matter.
    Legendary

19. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Gutted for Marks and Spencer, they've been the best pie per pound for a few years and have lost their way this year. Here's hoping they come back strong next year otherwise without the competition Selfridges and Waitrose will just rip us off and put their prices up. I'll still be buying M&S this year anyway so I can support the little guy.

20. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

And now it's officially Christmas. Thanks bit-tech!
    I'll just stick to eating the mince pies my mother makes for Christmas though - A home-build is always going to be better than a store-bought prebuilt, right? ;)

Tags: Add Tags