1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Recommendations for Z86-based board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamesn, 17 Jan 2012.

1. jamesn

jamesn What's a Dremel?

hey,
    for my new PC, am looking for a z68 based motherboard to go with my i7 2600k.

i have had good experiences in the past with Asus, so am considering the P8Z68-V PRO.

i dont plan on having more than one graphics card as i dont game, so that isnt a priority. i need a board that i can connect two screens to also.

i do want good SATA throughput, what experiences have you had with using RAID 5 on a motherboard? is it just software RAID, or does the chipset to the RAID and then present a single disk to the OS?

any recommendations much appreciated!

2. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Any form factor restrictions? If not then I'd go with the MSI Z68-GD65/GD85. They're both excellent boards for their price range. My desktop has a P55-GD65, which is similar to the Z68 version, but the Z68 has all the fancy features that Z68 and newer technology allow.

3. jamesn

jamesn What's a Dremel?

can be any Form, will be going into a Fractal R3

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I suspect you will have an easier time overclocking the Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3 or Pro. I have the Gen 3 and it takes the cpu to 5ghz on auto. It's quite a stable motherboard. 3 x 4 pin PWM fan headers. I have my 5 x case fans driven from one of the fan headers and the 3 x radiator fans from CPU fan header. There are 2 x 4 pin CPU fan headers on the Asus.

5ghz with all 4 memory slots filled to 16gb.

5. jamesn

jamesn What's a Dremel?

Asus p8z68-v pro it is. cant wait to built the new machine!

6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

My second choice would have been the MSI... It was a close call but I am happy I went for the Asus. From what I've heard the UEFI isn't as good on the MSI or perhaps not as clearly laid out.

7. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Woah, with that many PWM headers I'd probably go for the Asus too!

8. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

I was thinking of getting a new board but my printer is ancient with one of them big slots on it. Would I be able to use my printer with one of these Z68 boards without buying an plugin adapter or would I need a plugin adapter?

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I haven't seen parallel printer interface on a mobo for years. You should choose printer around the mobo not other way round. If necessary buy a parallel printer interface on ebay.

Better still, buy a new printer. The kodak ones have very low cost ink.

:)

10. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Replacing the printer is not really an option I wish to consider as it is a high speed duplex laser ancient Hewlett Packard. I prefer to work the motherboard round the printer so will need to get one of them cards with the big slot in it.

Could I run the printer from one of the USB ports on the motherboard if I get a big slot to USB adapter if such as thing exists.

I thought the big slots were called bifunctional centronix or something like that, it looks like a mouth with no teeth on the printer.

Itchy

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-USB-M-...uting_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3a6d8a01e5

Don't buy a vintage motherboard just for parallel port. That's just plain crazy.

12. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

No, I was not going to buy a vintage board, I was looking at a modern board that I can put a big slot adapter into or a modern board with a big slot on it.

I need a modern board for the PCI-e1, PCIe-16 slots etc for video capture cards and graphics cards etc just want to be able to use my ancient printer with it.

Thx for the link, that cable looks like it needs to fit on the end of my existing cable so might be OK. Will the printer know it is connected via the USB to the Z68 motherboard?

Itchy

13. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

The printer won't know anything about USB, no, but that doesn't matter.

You'll get what the OS sees as a parallel port when the USB > Parallel adaptor is connected, and the old HP drivers will not need to know anything about USB as they will be presented with a parallel port by the OS.

TL : DR: It will work absolutely fine mate, don't worry :thumb:

14. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

OK, thx, I understand it now. So, I can get any decent Z68 board even if they do not have the big slot for the printer. Any recommendations, I have an ASUS board in my PC now and it has been OK so might stick with them?

Itchy

15. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Asus Gene-z is pretty epic too :D

16. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

TBH with your requirements the P8Z68-V PRO you chose would be a pretty fine choice.

No need to spend more unless you're going enthusiast, which from what I can tell based on your OP, you aren't.

RAID 5 however - don't use onboard RAID. Do it in hardware. AFAIK motherboard RAID only supports 0, 1, and 0+1 anyway, so chances are you'll be left with no choice but to get a PCI-E RAID controller anyway.

May I ask why you want to use RAID 5? The controller is likely to be prohibitively expensive...

17. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

izools,

I think that you are getting me (Itchy Rim) mixed up with "jamesn" the creator of the thread. Not to worry, you are right in your assessment of my needs, I am not "enthusiast" level, far from it, all I need is good gear to do productive PC work to earn a crust, I am not a gamer or overclocker, rather, just graphics, database and spreadsheet work but needing a bit of power for it.

Thx for all your help, very useful.

Itchy

18. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

Oh deary me, clearly I've been working too hard...

Nevertheless, the P8Z68-PRO is a good choice :)

Lol, advice for you both in my prior thread. Now, grab yourselves avatars so my poor head doesn't get confused so easily :p

yassarikhan786 likes this.
  19. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

I would probably get banned if I used an avatar resembling my user name !!

Itchy

20. MaXimiZe_89

MaXimiZe_89 What's a Dremel?

Yep the v pro is an awesome mobo. Good choice :)