1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Recommend me a router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Jul 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As you might imagine, working from home as one of them there technology journalists means that I need a fairly reliable internet connection. It turns out that my 'Linksys by Cisco' WAG120N isn't the way to achieve that - it died on its arse earlier tonight, allowing no wireless clients to connect unless WPA2 is switched off. Which I ain't doing.

I got it back eventually - by turning it off and on, off and on, off and on, ad nauseam - but I've seen plenty of other reports of similar behaviour going back to the date of the last firmware update a year ago:
    http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6020&sid=944bb423b3e05974d60dd2e19575d43a
    http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Cable-and-DSL/WAG120N-DHCP-problem-with-WPA-security/td-p/455669
    http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Cable-and-DSL/Error-on-WAG120N/td-p/533252
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=219816
    http://superuser.com/questions/414342/wi-fi-connection-times-out-in-a-strange-way
    http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Cable-and-DSL/WAG120N-Firmware-1-0-0-16-Bugged/td-p/408759

So, bugger that for a game of soldiers. Recommend me an 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz (dual-mode is handy, but I have no 5GHz clients so it's not a deal-killer) ADSL router with at least four 10/100 or gigabit Ethernet ports, decent software and - if at all possible - support for DD-WRT or Tomato should I decide the default firmware sucks donkey bits.

Ta!

2. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Billion BiPAC 7800N is thought to be the most stable ADSL router.

Otherwise you could nab a Netgear DG834Gv4 router which a lot of people swear by off ebay. Although since it's wi-fi g you probably want to get an accesss point to go with it.

azrael- likes this.
  3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Damn! Beat me to it! :)

4. Toka

Toka Minimodder

QFE :)

Edit: Sorry, I realise this is a bit short on details. It might me a bit short on features / etc compared to bleeding edge hardware. But its a bit like our ipad. It just works, all the time, every time.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2012
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sounds like I'm getting a Billion BiPAC 7800N, then. Cheers guys!

6. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Be ready to pay for it :)

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

True. It's not the cheapest router out there, but you get what you pay for and it's not that expensive anyway.

8. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Pretty much anything by Draytek or Billion will be rock solid. But expect to pay for them. The DrayTek Vigor 2850n is a good option too. It supports every connectivity method out at the moment so will last a long time (ADSL, VDSL, 3g and cable. Pretty much all at the same time too)

9. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

10. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Might as well just ask here instead of creating another thread for essentially the same thing. I'm also looking for an adsl2+ modem/router that can handle at least 20mbps as that is my current line, ability to deal with more would be better for possible service upgrades, and with at least 4 gigabit ethernet ports for my pcs. However, I have an additional want - integrated voip and this is where I am running into a wall. If it comes down to it I would be willing to sacrifice wifi for voip if that helps with anything. Just looking to get everything in one device so I can clear up some clutter.

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Seems you're looking for the FRITZ!box 7390. You might need to check if it supports the correct annex for ADSL2+ in your country/area.

12. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Looks nice feature wise and has everything I am looking for, but it is quite a lot more than I was hoping to pay at $250 + expensive international shipping since they don't seem to be available anywhere in USA.

13. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

You need to update your location btw Lysol :)

14. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

The DrayTek that Big_malc posted will handle all that if you can get it where you are lysol. Just make sure you get either the VN or VDN model as they're the only ones that has VOIP and wireless (the "D" model has DECT for cordless phones. More info here).

Last edited: 29 Jul 2012
  15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Yeah, I can see how that can be a problem. Good thing you've updated your location now as hamza suggested. :)