1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New ARMA II expansion announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Aug 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

As long as they keep working on the vanila patches....

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Still getting to grips with this game but I love the sandbox nature of the mission editor.... now only if you could give cattle waypoints to follow!

4. von_stylon

von_stylon uber micro

I welcome the new expansion just as long as they carry on fixing the bugs its all gravy here. However I want ACE mod so badly right now and ACE with this expansion is just going to pwn deep and hard!

5. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Them Takis come over 'ere, steal our jobs......

6. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

Haha! Nice.

7. bbshammo

bbshammo What's a Dremel?

Why is it in our community, we so easily accept half-arsedness?

I'm a major fan of the original OFP, and have ARMA's 1 and 2 also, but every time I buy it I curse myself for having parted with my hard-earned for what amounts to a broken game; unfinished, not worthy of a full retail price.

What strikes me is that the only reason they get away with this is because it has no competition. ROLL ON OPERATION FLASHPOINT 2, is all I can say.

My reason? Well, although I love OFP/ARMA, I can't condone blatnant exploitation of the circumstances by any developer, and to me it's clear that BIS are dragging their heels on this and doing what primarily suites them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for the almost on-time release of ARMA 2 and the ridiculously short time between that launch and the announcement of the addon, indicates that they see what's coming from Codies, and have no choice but to launch early and make as much as they can before the bar is raised beyond their capability.

Good old free market dynamics in action.

Complacency = FAIL!!

8. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

From what I have read this game has such high system requirements there are no cards that can even play it. Unless playing at 960x600 on a 4890/275 doesn't give you massive headaches caused by a blurry scaled image. The game doesn't do SLI or Crossfire so forget about your extra GPU helping out. It also has tons of bugs.

Too bad because it looks like it could have been pretty cool, really my kinda game, someone screwed it up pretty bad though.

9. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Why don't they try fixing all the bugs to make the game playable before releaseing an expansion.

IMO its not even playable yet. My dvd is sat waiting untill ats at a reasonable state to play and I don't hold out any hope of that before Op Flashpoint 2.

10. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Only if you wanna run it with 10k view distance and everything maxed. You trim a few settings down a little and it runs quite nicely on my C2D E6600 @ 3ghz, 2 x 8800 GTX, 4 GB Win7 64bit

11. bbshammo

bbshammo What's a Dremel?

Another thing.

The main thing holding back performance is CPU, memory, bandwidth, and cores.

My system's an oc'd Q6600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 Gigs Ram, 512Mb 4870, and settings are all "normal", with AA to "low", and post-processing disabled.

For example, in a 128 player server I get around 50fps up to 30 players; around 40fps up to 60 players, and from 70 onwards, it drops like a stone, all the way to the 20's.

The graphics on screen haven't increased in at all, as the number of players have, but all the background stuff does.

This just goes to show how it's far more a CPU/platform dependent game, than a GPU one.

I just hope it works on as many cores as you can throw at it.

Seeing as only heavily oc'd i7 systems can play it at decent frame-rates at normal settings, maybe it'll only begin to be playable on high or full quality when 6 and 8 core machines come out... With DDR5 RAM!!

12. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Its a good game, i just wish they would optimise it a bit better. And they should concentrate on patches and stability, before milking us for some more.

13. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

Developers shouldn't announce these things so soon. No one really wants an expansion pack three weeks after the game comes out, so why not announce it in a month or so. You can still have the same release date.

Tags: Add Tags