1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help need advice on University

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Guest-18698, 21 Apr 2010.

1. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

sorry this is a rather lame post, I have been excepted to Reading and Bristol UWE for building surveying. I am struggling to decide which to choose before the UCAS closing date on the 4th of may!

I went to see bristol UWE and talked to a girl from that course etc (i seem to remember her saying reading didnt except her, and a few guys who were also lookin at uwe said that they had seen reading and said it was good..)

I have also known of a few people who went to uwe and they did ok.

I went to visit reading last week on a non tour etc so couldnt meet students or tutors (I am calling them today to see if its possible at all to meet with them etc, since i work full time its hard from me to get the time..)

reading as a place seemed good, new buildings, easy to find your way around, shops etc

So i guess i am asking for peoples opinions and views to help me determine which is best. I also stay near oxford, so reading is only 20 minutes away from home, where as bristol is about and hour and a half. So that could have its advantages to. I could have nights out wiv my home pals quite easily

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Apr 2010
  2. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

Unless you are a mature student I would move away from home and have a bit more fun.

Uni wise; Reading>UWE

Town wise; Bristol>Reading

Can't help I'm afraid. Maybe if your course gives industry experience than that may swing it?

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Bristol, and the south west, is awesome.

I do not regret moving here at all.

But then, I moved here for a job, so I can't really comment on the uni.

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

if your course is important to you. check out the times league table of university for the subject you wish to study. thats how i picked my university.

5. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

I am 23 this july.. so mature you could say! Been to uni before but way up north and didnt enjoy it for various reasons (diff course, stress in my personal life)

Times online guide says reading is 31st and uwe is 62nd! Not sure if thats based on the uni as a whole or the subjet :S times wont reckonise building surveying or surveying :S

I have heard that uwe is great but because most are based off campus it creates a dull vibe

looking on the reading website, I cant see where it says they are RICS accredited? I am sure they are. I need to call them at lunch to be honest.

6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Flip a coin?

In all seriousness though, Bristol is a pretty awesome place. pretty varied but I've only ever been there during the day so I can't comment on the clubs etc. Never been to Reading though, so my opinion is a little one sided.

As for the uni? A guy I work with had the same uni choices as you, except his course was in robotics. he chose Bristol, said he preferred it.

But then again, the South West is just totally awesome!

7. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

I know several people at Bristol uni, all who say its great fun and a great place to spend 3/4 years. If there is nothing in the courses then I would advise Bristol.

8. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Congratulations on getting accepted mate, Can't really speak much about the University's down there as I only have experience with scottish University's but I'm sure you'll really enjoy building surveying as a degree.

I'm just on my final leg now, few more hand in's and exam's and that's me but I feel like as a surveyor I'm in a pretty good position for the future.

If you have any questions about the course or need advice feel free to PM me. Good luck!:thumb:

9. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

cheers guys, yes, had it been the bristol university not UWE id have probably chosen it!

but reading is what I went for as its ranked second for building! and I liked it as a uni a whole lot more.

cant flipping wait guys! xonar awesome, yes will have to have a chat with you i think :)

you're right i think its a great profession and a really good subject to study

Last edited by a moderator: 4 May 2010
  10. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

All i would say.

Do not stay at home! Uni is as much a social thing as a learning, and i strongly believe that its cramped by staying at home.

GL

11. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Agreed, I live at home and it sucks. Last 4yrs of uni have felt pretty much the same as school really.

Anyway, Bristol is great as a city but UWE is definitely behind Reading; I've spent quite a bit of time in Reading and it's alright as a city, I'd probably have chosen there as well :thumb:

12. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I went to UCLAN and lived there. Hated it so much. One of the main reasons I left Uni (Also hated the course). Didn't like living in a built up area, flatmates were all cool. But ignorant. So living away isn't always great.

13. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Just one thing that someone confused above. UWE != University of Bristol.

UWE is in the suburbs and is a stone's throw from fields and greenery, whereas University of Bristol is sitting right on top of the town centre and is near to all the studenty pubs.

14. alastor

alastor Minimodder

And very nice it is too :D

15. MacWalka

MacWalka What's a Dremel?

Couldn't disagree more. Why get yourself into even more student debt when you can stay at home and get more stuff for free?

I stayed at home for 5 years at uni doing a Masters degree, paid my own way for living costs and since I didn't have to pay rent or meals-I left uni virtually debt free. Its a hassle you don't need if you can avoid it.

I would say choose the uni that gives you the best education-its a means to an end after all. People who choose a certain uni just for the social aspect has their priorities mixed up IMHO. Fair enough if you have 2 unis that are similar, the social aspect is a good deciding factor.

Oh and congrats.:clap:

16. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I couldnt disagree more with you lol. Part of the university experience should be learning to live on your own and become independent from your parents. Learning how to cook, clean and budget are all positive skills to have. The sister in law stayed at home and i think her studies suffered becuase of it as most of her friends at home did not go to Uni but go local jobs instead so they were going out everynight and did not really understand how much she had to study. For the final year and a half she moved in with us and lack of distraction and the fact she was near to her uni mates meant she could socailise and study with people doing the same course saw her course work improve markedly.

As mentioned previously staying at home amkes it too much like school and students dont take it seriously enough.

17. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

:thumb: well i can fend for myself, done it before, but id like to be away from home to really get my head down and concentration cap on

18. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Having done a year at Reading and spent a bit longer living there, I can tell you the uni is a fantastic place and the town, whilst a bit 'gritty' in places, is nice enough and busy enough to make it worthwhile. I really enjoyed it there but can't say I know much about Bristol.

19. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

nice thats what i like to hear. the uni is the most important thing for me. not fussed to much about the city. :)