1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft disables Edge 'peripheral' Flash playback

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Apr 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I always thought it foolhardy that Microsoft included Flash Player with Windows 8/10, does anyone know if Windows 10 still uses the old IE engine (Trident) when an application uses the Web Browser controls in Windows, if so couldn't an application or anything that's not Edge still leave people vulnerable?

3. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

I think like with windows 7 and before you will find W10 has vulnerabilities all the way back to XP, because it's windows and even when they like to say with each iteration 'completely new' there is ample evidence less than a micron below the surface that they reuse tons of stuff for decades. But I guess that's why it has Edge as a separate thing now in the first place, the only way to not have 50% of 'legacy bugs' is by starting anew. And that's why I suspect you are right in that the issue you mention is indeed present once you step outside of Edge.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

This is a good decision, win 10 is delivered on a lot of low-power devices that then struggle with (unnecessary) flash animations