1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Mind the multiplayer gap

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 31 Jan 2013.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. zebby2k

zebby2k What's a Dremel?

Here here!!!! Last time I made "The Jump" was a westwood game called NOX - sat atop the UK ladder for a fair while. Couldnt play on the US ladder as the lag at the time made it impossible - I think that was back in the days of 56k Modems!!!

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I too dislike multiplayer games, but then I'm an anti-social old git! :D

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

The problem is if you want to jump the gap, the requirement is that need to be lacking 2 of the following:
    -full time job
    -girlfriend
    -social life

I was over there once, on it every night, fearsome with my VSS, admining Bit-tech's server. That was when I just got a full time job, didn't have a social life or girlfriend.

Now I have all 3, I am on the casual side of the gap. Don't really want to jump into multiplayer games anymore, knowing I'll have my backside handed to me on a well dressed plate. Single player game and occasional Super Smash Bros / Mario Kart with friends is all I do.

still yet to finish Black Mesa........

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Which automatically makes us friends, but friends who will rarely speak to one another or acknowledge the friendship. :brrr:

On and wuyanxu, one thing trumps all of the above - children. The prospect of regular interruptions day and night makes multiplayer a big no-no.

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I know that one. trying to play multiplayer when my nephew and niece are around is a nightmare "Uncle Mark, can you pause that for a minute?, Can you put a dvd on for me?"

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Totally agree - I'm in the same position, but I do still make the time for some BF3! Just don't have much time for anything else!

8. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I think half the reason I love Half-Life so much is that there's nobody pushing me towards multiplayer. I'd love to play Portal 2's co-op but don't want to play with a stranger and have no friends I can arrange the time with.

Back to Zelda I guess...

9. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

only multiplayer i play for the first time in my life is starcraft 2 and now planetside. planetside is little different since there is so many ppl, u dont feel sould crushing fail as much. SC2 u do tho :p

i still play the old school way of arrow keys, num.0 for jump, num1 to crouch, etc.

ironically i need the gaps by my arrow keys keyboard to feel comfortable enough to play so i can try and avoid the the gap from the article. :)

10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Fortunately for me the only multiplayer game I ever play is TF2 and despite being no where near my peak a few years ago its still casual enough and luck based that I can pick it up after not played any games for a few months and be competitive on public servers. Never did get into "competitive" play.

Oh forgot about Altitude, but the plane_ball maps are just a free for all!

11. Petrol head

Petrol head What's a Dremel?

Completely agree. I find it hard to get into more atmospheric games for the same reason. I know I have 30 minutes at best before one of them wakes up. I even build PC's during the night just to avoid my little darlings.

(I love them all really):D

Shirty likes this.
  12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I just play pong nowadays :D

The circle is complete.

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

There's these things called MMORPGs that are multiplayer on the one side and don't require lot's of time on the other side.

Stop thinking FPS or RTS, where you need to invest lots of time to get good at or to train for. There's tons of casual MMORPGs, where you can hop in for an hour or two and just have some fun.

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Only game I've ever tried to take seriously is TF2, and for that there are enough competitive levels for most people who want to try it to have a real go :)

I understand what you mean, no other game has made me want to try and take it more seriously, it's also one of the few multiplayer games I play.

15. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Freaking Himmelsdorf.

16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I still prefer the good old days, when having friends over for some 4 player Golden eye. EPIC!!
    No hackers, no cheaters, no aim bots etc. just pure skill. :)

95% of my games I play in single player.

17. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

I think what really bugs me about trying to step your game up is the never ending torrent of abuse or urine extraction because of a mistake, there's only so many times you can take "you ****king idiot" or screams of "noob" before it gets off putting and you begin to give up.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

This article didn't turn out how I expected but was still an interesting read.

Personally, I like multiplayer games BUT i don't like it when MP is basically forced on you. I don't want to buy a game with a 5 hour campaign and no other offline mode, not even bots. Not to sound egotistical but most people I play against online aren't worth my time. They're either boringly easy or professional to the point that they've been accused as cheaters. In most online games or even leader board games, i tend to fall in the top 10-15%.

Humans are also surprisingly predictable. I like playing multiplayer matches against bots only because you either need a really good plan or it just takes pure skill to win rather than tactics. Tactics are fine but no plan is good enough if you don't have the skill to carry it out.

My main gripe about the MP games i dislike the most, such as COD or need for speed (the new ones) is they use MP probably because their programmers either suck too much or are too lazy to make a competitive bot. Of course I could be wrong but the short campaign really gives me a "don't care" vibe from the devs.

19. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

i usually try and nuke my partner if they cross the crude and rude line and then say sorry before i drop him again. but that usually only happens once in a while when a really rude ass is on.

20. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Multi player modes are nothing but a trojan horse for DLC and micro transactions.

It's why I don't play anything but the amazing WWII Mod Forgotten Hope 2.

Tags: Add Tags