1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Blue light

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 14 Aug 2015.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My wife has several medical conditions and she has been told to regulate her sleeping pattern and to avoid blue light for 1.5hours before bed.

I've not heard of this before but it does kind of make sense as I generally struggle to fall to sleep until at least an hour after I have watched TV or used the pc/tablet.

What I want to know is, what screen filters are decent to block out said light?

There seems to be a lot about, including glasses but she would rather have a all over monitor filter.

Anyone out there got a clue :)

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Sounds interesting I'll set that up in the morning thanks.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

f.lux has a page outlining the research conducted into blue light and sleep: https://justgetflux.com/research.html. Basically: blue light slows the production of melatonin and therefore your ability to sleep.

There are also Android and iOS apps available which do the same thing as f.lux. Don't know about iOS but some of the Android variants allow you to set up a schedule for certain times of the day.

5. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I use a 'Night mode' app on my phone. Not for avoiding blue light, just for dimming the display well below what the phone's display adjustment allows to avoid detection from her on the other side of the bed. Whether it helps on blue light issues I've no idea, but I have no trouble falling to sleep reading on it (I actively use reading to help me drift off usually and haven't noticed a difference between reading on phone or book).

6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

+1 for f.lux.
    It seems to know when it's sunset and does the warm screen thing.

7. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

If you're on linux, there's also redshift, an open-source alternative to f.lux.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aye, I use this on the desktop and f.lux on the OS X laptop, 'cos for some reason f.lux under Linux stopped working for me a few updates back. Redshift works absolutely perfectly as an alternative, except that it doesn't affect the mouse cursor - so you've got lovely calming yellow everything with a harsh blue-white cursor on top. Makes it easy to see, at least!

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Quite liking this so far you dont notice it after a couple of days. Running the android version on my phone not sure if its a placebo but ill stick with it for a while to see but so far I feel its helping me go to sleep more quickly.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

F.lux is fantastic.

I find it difficult to use a Pc without it these days. Whether it helps or not, I can't be sure, but I almost always fall asleep with the PC on (Okay, bad for me, fine). Then again, come bed time I'm pretty determined at sleeping.