1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mod Gods - More Of The Best PC Mods Ever

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 11 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Holy Crap! Cold Fusion is A-Mazing!

Definitely one of the best mods I've seen, and amazing to see what the case originally looked like.

I've never seen these before! Temple of Nod is great too!

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

One of our favourites too! Sadly we couldn't dig up any more images of it. The same goes for quite a few other 'old greats' but we're in the process of contacting the various makers to see if they can reinstate their image hosting accounts/send us some pics.

4. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Incredible mods. Don't forget to include gnome's WMD in the next feature :) And probably end them with Acronym; that was so epic.

5. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I can remember having an ORAC poster (BT competition prize) on my bedroom wall for a while and only a couple of weeks ago I was in a cheap book shop looking at a book called PC Hotrods and there was ORAC on the cover of that too.

6. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

Heavy Metal by Cord-8

7. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Does it erk anyone else when you see a WONDERFUL case mod and the modder just tosses in some junk hardware!
    In other news, ive read all those logs before and they are great.

8. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

I still have a few hundred ORAC3 posters... shame that tubes (and postage) cost so much as to make their distribution less economical.

Feel free to shout if you *really* want one (or 20) :)

9. Hot Nikks

Hot Nikks What's a Dremel?

Count me as one of the many who 1st came to Bit-Tech via a link to Orac project. I'm still amazed by the craftsmanship and design.

10. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Looking back at these sometimes fills me with nostalgia, and sometimes with indifference;

They all are examples of excellent beasts for their time period - True projects of their craftsmen. Yet they seem so "busy" in today's era of murdered out monoliths with excellent cable management.

More specifically though, I think it's just ORAC3 that throws me for a bit of a loop. Sure, everything ever has been customized, but what good does it do? You can't see a thing in that case, and servicing anything in there must be far beyond a nightmare. Still, a lot of work went into it, and you really have to appreciate that level of passion.

11. Combatus

I think there are two types of project and whether they're mods or scratchbuilds is irrelevant. You have one that's awesome but still practical, and another that's built purely on the theme 'I did it because I could'. ORAC falls into the latter - I guess you could say it simply doesn't matter how difficult it will be to work/live with etc. The maker simply followed his vision and accepted all the issues having a PC like that would bring.

It's indulgence in the extreme - I think it's this it throws you for a bit of a loop. As PC enthusiasts we're more focussed on the best efficiency and performance, so building something in a way that will probably make it less so goes against the grain. I think it's why projects like this are so rare as well.

12. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

so far I've been a little surprised by the choices. Not to say any of them have been bad choices, because I definitely agree that these are all incredible cases and show some astounding workmanship and creativity, but honestly they all have a fairly similar feel to me. Incredible levels of detail seems to be the winning factor here. What about cases that perfect a minimalist style design? Cases like Cygnus X1 or Sinus?

I realize this compilation still has a few installments before your finished, but I'm just surprised no cases like that have been mentioned yet because in my mind, high levels of detail aren't always the best.

Again I absolutely agree that all the mods listed are top notch and they all seem to achieve a balance of incredible detail without seeming busy, but personally I'd like to see some cleaner builds on here too. There are lots of builds like that that I think deserve a spot on this list.

just my .02 :) Loving these articles so far, it's like a trip down memory lane!

13. faxiij

faxiij Minimodder

see above! i still miss some mods that had far more impact than the nod one - cygnus, sinus or wmd are great examples. those seriously shook the community. especially cygnus and sinus combined form and function in a way and with a simplicity and beauty that still impresses me deeply whenever i revisit the pics of those mods. so thrilled to see the next feature coming!

14. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

My builds aren't even playing the same game as Orac and the likes, but I even so I still feel seriously honored by this article! :D

15. Combatus

Oh come on Sleeps, you're a Mod God, just admit it ;)

16. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Bloody hell....I am supposed to pick a favourite from those?! All of them are beautiful..works of art every one. My congrats to those modders..damn!

18. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

To those that think ORAC3 is too busy .. it was done that way on purpose to match a TV show Blakes 7 (I too was first drawn to B-T by it, and yes, it does look busy)
    that and Cord-8's Heavy Metal .. the truck like chassis, go cart wheels, radio control, and a tachometer converted to a CPU load meter was too cool (why can I find no mention of it anywhere? ... here are some pics I saved way back when ... http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/DonBeary/DBsPostPics/Heavy Metal/ ...

19. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

hmmm, beyond the grave on a flowery table clothmade me lolalittle. But apart from that they all look sweet, i might have a garage of my very own soon and I`m feeling inspired.

20. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Good call on Orac3, that's got to be one of my all time favourites.

Tags: Add Tags