1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Oh what a night.

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 2 Jul 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I do not know what it was like down your way but up here in Edinburgh we had a fantastic light show that went on for quite some time.
    A massive clap of thunder woke me around 1 am and then I noticed what seemed to be constant flashes from behind the blinds covering the windows. Opening one I was treatedvto something I have never in my 61 years seen before, flash after flash of lighting then a massive burst of thunder.
    Oddly my cat wanted out so I took her down to the back door with my camera to hopefully get a snap or two of this spectacular show but never seemed to have the camera pointing in the right direction.
    I regret not being higher as at ground level houses blocked most of the lighting flashes. I saw plenty though and it was well worth standing in the garden getting soaked by the torrential rain. The cat did not agree as she shot back inside.

2. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

Newcastle and also the Isle of Harris had quite a display yesterday around 3pm-5pm - was watching the lightning strike activity with lightning maps. Disappointingly couldn't find any live webcams (not those silly update every 7 seconds ones) to watch the storms though!

3. legoman

legoman breaker of things

26c last night outside. god knows what it was inside no breeze only sound was the flys. oh an the crows going crazy at 4AM. Really miss storms :(

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

We here in Edinburgh have not enjoyed high temperatures that other parts of the country have. Pretty much a typical Scottish summer so far. Couple of days sun followed by weeks of overcast sky's.
    But the storm made up for it and then some.

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Here in Glasgow we also had thunders, I didn't see any but heard them well. It was something around 12, maybe 1am. I was in my bed already but didn't care to get off, it was so hot in last few days, that I decided not to move at all:) It was 17C during night! Yesterday it hit 30C late afternoon. Tomorrow supposed to be 25-28C again. This morning I put on my suit and within 2 minutes I was melting, so said "hell no" to the dress code today - I'm not gonna melt in a office like that, shorts and T today:D

I had a peek on next week's weather forecast - 32C mid week!:eeek:

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Didn't get any thunder last night but we did peak at 33.5c on my cars outside temp thermometer, it was still 30c+ at 6 in the evening.

Cloudy out now so maybe we are in a for a storm.

7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Sadly no interesting light shows down in my area... we had a bit of thunder around 2-3pm around Cornwall yesterday then is basically turned foggy with on and off light showers for the rest of the day and into the night.

Looking at that lightning map's animation of yesterday's recorded strikes, there were a few along the border of Cornwall and Devon and on the south coast but nothing overly noticeable inland for Cornwall.

North England from Liverpool upwards looks fairly impressive on the archive record on that website from 8pm onwards:
    http://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzo...24&bo_animation=day#bo_arch_strikes_maps_form

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

We got the light show.

We also got the mother and father of hail storms in it's wake.

My car is full of dents, I stopped counting at ten on the roof panel, my neighbour's looks like someone went at it with a lump hammer. Expensive night.

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Nothing at all up here in Wales just hot

10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

holy ****, does insurance cover it?

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

This lightning website is it possible to roll the clock back 12 hours so I can see Edinburgh though last night? I cannot figure out how to do it.

12. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Unlikely "Act of God"

13. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

It doesn't seem to have an option to narrow the animation to just Scotland or zoom in further than the standard UK view, but on the link for the archive page I posted you can narrow the time-scale down anything to the nearest hour.

e.g. setting the time at "20 o'clock" and "+6 hours" will give you the strikes from 8pm to 2am which looks like when most of them hit Scotland.

http://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzo...=6&bo_animation=day#bo_arch_strikes_maps_form

14. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

@Kronos - if you want to try and photograph lightning, you need to be using a tripod and fairly long exposures. The bolts are far too quick to capture by just firing off frames. You might also want to stack several shots to create a more dramatic image.

There are lots of guides on the web so have a good look around and you'll be ready for the next storm.

15. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Take the chuch to court to recover the costs :lol:

16. fix-the-spade

It's a 2003 Skoda Fabia, the cost of repair is likely three or four times what it's worth anyway. The dents are just a bit more character, I drive around in a dirt cheap car for exactly this reason.

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I find I am unable to grasp even the basic settings in manual. I have watched videos, have bought a book (Dummies) for my camera but to no avail. I need to find someone I can personally annoy with constant questions who can then show me what to do as I fear i will never get there.

18. fix-the-spade

Won't work, I'm demonstrably not Billy Connolly.

#EDIT.

Did better than my Dad, the weather cracked the windscreen on his van! Luckily insurance is covering that and he's getting a new screen in Tuesday.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2015
  19. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

Yeah, i saw it all, my room window faces north east. i opened the window just in time for the single loudest thunderclap i've heard in years; it properly rattled my flat. Really awesome stuff. i did notice the streetlights going off at the larger strikes, then flickering back on when they realised it was still night.

http://www.lightningmaps.org/shows strikes all over the shop for last night

20. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I see. Keep at it, one day it'll "click" and suddenly make sense. :thumb:

(I almost launched into a EV/fstop lecture but I'll spare you the pain as it's more likely to confuse than enlighten. :) You really need someone to give you a hands-on demo.)

Last edited: 2 Jul 2015