1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows How to replicate a hotel wifi with pop up token page etc?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by rainbowbridge, 16 Jun 2014.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

a number of users are complaining that they are unable to get to the "pop up page, which asks for your email or room number".

What I want to do is crate a hot spot wifi with either iphone or android or some other way, and then connect the series of laptops and see the issue for myself.

I spoke to one person that is having this issue and they can correctly connect to the SSID but they cant get to the voucher page or what ever.

The laptops are not simple laptops they are running cisco any connect and stuff but all I need to know is how to make a hotspot that is like a hotel with some athenticaion page needing completing.

Any ideas? I know I can just turn an IPHONE or Android into an open ssid or with a password but that's not what I need.

Any ideas>??

2. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Easiest way I can think of is with a DD-WRT router.

Then can be done in 3 minutes flat, the list of routers supporting it these days is quite large, and seeing as you don't need high throughput or even an actual WAN connection - you can repurpose or pick up a secondhand/old router and load it just for your testing purposes.

3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

why does the DD-WRT router have a token page option to switch on, is this what hotels use or have used to do this pop up option thing?

(Ill order one now if it does it).

4. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

For clarity, the options provided by DD-WRT will not be identical to this hotel system you're trying to emulate - however it includes Chillispot, NoCatSplash, WiFiDog, Sputnik et al each of which has it's own benefits and drawbacks - but all do what you are suggesting you want to do: Display a splash page to users connecting to a wifi hotspot, on which they need to complete a form, identify themsleves, pay to use wifi, accept disclaimer or whatever you care to implement.

DD-WRT's whole point as a replacement firmware for routers is to include and enable very technical (and cool) features for geeks freely, and in some respects replicate the functions of much more expensive business/enterprise-grade routers without the need to spend any money.

Please note I leave you to read the documentation and decide which router would be most suitable for you (cheaper is always better on projects like this?) and indeed if the applications mentioned cover exactly what you want to achieve.

Lazy linking below

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Chillispot

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/NoCatSplash

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wifidog

Sputnik (actually it looks like this may have been removed from the default DD-WRT install - but where there's a will, there's a way!)

TSB

(Edit) OT: All the above aside, implementing a separate AP with DD-WRT and a separate piece of splash software.... isn't going to help you solve your problem! You need to resolve that on your existing hardware setup!

5. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

ZyXEL.

If you know your stuff, theres a secret admin password that if not changed you can get away with free wifi :) hehe (Rumor has it some Ferries for the channel crossing have ZyXEL units.)

But you can do all sorts, issue tokens, do it via credentails, limit to an hour etc.

At my previous job I deployed around 8 AP's over a warehouse all controled by a ZyXEL NCX2500. The coverage is flawless :)

We where also installing them in a fairly large coffe shop chain in the UK but these have been replaced with Meraki's now do to the easy of use.

However if money is no limit Meraki is the way to go :)