1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pricing someones time

Discussion in 'Serious' started by siliconfanatic, 9 Dec 2012.

1. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Every Sunday me and my family go out shopping. And every Sunday I hear people complaining that the price is too high. Every day I see people go to those fiendish automatic lanes. And every Sunday, I want to slap someone out of their perfect little castle and back to Earth.

Why do you think the price is so high, hmm? Because of that arrogant person at the top? Yes, that's one factor. But there's another one: The Human factor. Those people in the assembly line? Chances are, they have hungry mouths to feed when they get home. And chances are, like you yourself, they are barely scraping by with that job at the cash register,or replacing the brakes on your car, like my dad, and then have to listen and put up with you bi@c%!&G that they took to long. Chances are they cant get a job anywhere else, not just due to lack of skills, but because the jobs they COULD get just Aren't THERE. But that itself explains why, once on top, they don't want to let go. So that their family will have money for a while.

How do you put a price on someones time? Time that could be better spent with their children? Or even grandchildren? They're there so that they can feed those kids, or get them a few toys for xmas. Or maybe just because they're 18 and are just starting out on their own, struggling to keep the rent, the water running etc. I may only be 15. Call me naive, I dare you. But i know how hard it will be starting out, and for the next decade after that. I know that it'll be even harder once I myself do. But I don't complain. I smile,inside, because in know that loaf of bread could be the difference between someone's small paycheck, or someone getting layed off. How do YOU react to that price?

Disclaimer for those who need it: You doesn't mean you specifically.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2013
  2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Must be an American thing. The checkouts are quite friendly in the UK.

3. siliconfanatic

no.. the checkouts are great, its thpeople complaining to the person manning the register. or having fits about how expensive the frozen food is.

4. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Nobody talks when paying for things in the UK. Most you'll hear is "Do you take card?" and "Thanks, bye."

5. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Tangster's right. In the UK when it comes to pricing we tend to moan or exclaim at the products on the shelves themselves then either pick them up and put them in the basket or we leave them on the shelves. It's not the check out person's fault what prices are set at.

As to your question how do you price someone's time that's relatively easy - it's what the market will bare at any given time. Lots of available workers for a relatively unskilled job and all the market will bare is peanuts plus. A highly skilled position that few can fill and they'll pay much more, obviously. Now whether that's morally right is an entirely different question.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2012
  6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Maybe you could tell my customers that?

7. siliconfanatic

Oh yeah. Thought you meant it the other way around. Yeah, most americans are spoiled turds nowadays; especially the little brats running round the place trying to steal things outta yer cart then looking at you blankly when they get their hands smacked(not hard, mind you). i came from a rather formal country-come city family so ive never done that as i know what would've happened if i had. it just... irks me, ya know? the fact of how pampered some people are, how.... Ignorant! thats the word!

Last edited: 30 Jun 2013
  8. siliconfanatic

ikr? my first time at the register, (no joke!) i actually had someone hurl stuff at my head when i corrected his price.:eeek:

9. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I've been spat at, had punches thrown, food thrown at me, death threats to name but a few. Mostly by over privileged teens that don't want pickles in their burgers.

They know I'm not allowed to drag them out the store, so they take advantage of it. By the time security guards show up, they've left.

Just have to deal with it and move on to the next arrogant ****.

10. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

I'd love to. Where do you work?

11. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

McDonald's.

12. siliconfanatic

thats how i lost the job, im in martial arts so i wasnt afraid to haul off @ the pricks

13. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I'm not afraid to haul them off. I'm afraid of the law suit that would no doubt follow.

14. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

That's awful. Ever thought of keeping a supply of pickles behind the counter and surreptitiously throwing them back at them? ;)

15. siliconfanatic

thing is that were in a counrty/city town, the judge'd take one look at the slickers an throw em out of court. not to mention actual stuff bein thrown at you such as glass bottles is more than enough reason to open that age old can of proverbial butt kicking. and they really were bewildered when i jumped up over the counter an back-kick'd them in the head. you will never, ever see me throw punch. only a block and a kick. :D and im in the (almost ) same martial art as norris so that really screws with em. plus they cant say i threw the first punch :hehe: course i had to explain to the boss what exactly i did and he kept saying that wasnt possible. :miffed:

16. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I usually find sarcasm works. Oh, and telling them they've been banned when they're in with their parents.

The bags of pickles come in 2kg bags. I could construct some basic catapult so hurl them at the teens.. Well, I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

17. siliconfanatic

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :naughty:

18. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Dear OP,

I would like to commend you on your use of a capital letter in the third paragraph of your first post - would you like to try using some more in the future?

Regards,

Me

Last edited: 10 Dec 2012
    kenco_uk likes this.
  19. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Why would anybody complain to a checkout person about the price? Its not like (a) they cant check it on the shelf when they pick it up, or (b) the checkout person can do anything about it.

I have literally never seen any abuse being taken by someone at a service counter... and I lived in Nottingham for 19 years :)

20. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Ah yes, but that would require that they used a tiny little bit of intelligence... The people in question obviously struggle with the concept of "I can't afford it that so I'd better not pick it up and put it in my basket".