1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cor Leonis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 28 Feb 2011.

1. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Welcome to my first water cooled project, Cor Leonis (heart of the lion).
    I haven't made any drawings for this but I have prepared some sketch up images for the log to give you an idea of what's going on, so I'll get straight into it and explain as things progress.

In the following images you can see that the graphics card will mount parallel to the motherboard with the aid of a PCIex extender. I've also included the two blocks here, and the thing to note is that there will be no tubing this side of the board. All the tubing will be around the back of the board, between it and the PSU. I'll leave any more details for the progression of the project, I think it's more interesting like that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have already played around with making some water cooling gear for the past month.
    [​IMG]

As usual I start building from the inside out. The first and central part is the motherboard/GFX tray. This is only a little different from the norm in that it not only holds the mobo but also has an extra level to hold the GFX card. This is made from 4mm plate and the only thing to measure initially is the width of the board I'm going to use (mATX). The length of this piece is just a guess including all the bends for the second tier.

[​IMG]

Now before work can progress its necessary to fit the motherboard. The positions for the standoffs are taken straight off the board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The GFX card is mocked up with the extender so I can get a look at where to mark the first bend and also to measure the height and where the standoffs for the GFX card will go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the details are cut and filed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I usually score the bend line to give a nice, tight bend, but with this thickness a score line wont be enough. I use my little trimmer with a 3 mm bit to make a trench 2 mm deep, then with a square file, make a ninety degree 'V'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bends are then started in the brake but completed on the bench by hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the standoffs and mobo refitted.

[​IMG]

Then some standoffs are fitted to the GFX card to get a look. The card is higher than I hoped but I wanted to retain access to all the connectors under it. I may swap the standoffs for some rubber grommets and get a few mm back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all I've done so far so I'll be back when some more works been done. :)

Last edited: 9 Dec 2012
    Apocalypso, Silent_Raider and Jipa like this.
  2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

He's at it again...

[​IMG]

Nice thoughts there, flipping the card around that way by using an PCIe-extender.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

YES YES YES YES YES.

[​IMG]

4. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Looks pretty interesting. Hope your not planning on using any of the other slots though....

5. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I will be watching this one. Very promising start!

6. asura

asura jack of all trades

Why not? Just make use of more flex extenders.

Awesome beginning and love the block development, a little disappointed that you didn't go for anything more ambitious than a labyrinth, but your work can be considered nothing less than perfectionist.

7. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Finally here... watching :thumb:

8. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I didn't notice the name of the OP, so I just started thinking "Crikey, this guy is good, very similar to OldNewBy :D

Great to see you back at it again Attila, fantastic work on the bends.

Do those GPU extenders work that efficiently? I have no reason not to believe they do, but always been hesitant about them.

9. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Ditto, I've had several thoughts on where they could be useful but have always hesitated for fear that they might bottleneck the components potential.

Same as everyone else though mate, I'm excited to see this develop :thumb:

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Oh, sh*t!:jawdrop:
    This will be awesome fun.
    -Not for you, though. the control wiring is under the graphics card. Wiring that up is gonna suck, man.
    Edit: D*mn. No 90 degree SATA ports, either.:( I learned you can't fold a SATA wire directly off the plug not to long ago. They break really easy there.

Make case/win kit for new case/win kit for new case... You've set up some kind of perpetual motion machine!

11. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

I' ve already love it:D

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

MOAR!!!!

13. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Great start for once more brother, good luck with your built I will be watching! :)

14. Carl97

Carl97 Sorry, for my bad english.

It will really nice!:rock: And can you speak in hungarian?:lol:

15. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

The main man's at it again lol, really like the psu out the way behind the motherboard Attila and this is the first time I have been able to see one of yours from the start so really looking forward to it coming together dude! Great stuff! :thumb:

16. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Yes, the messiah of filing has finally returned! Well done attila, I love the standoff for the GPU, more greatness to come I hope... Subbed

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Just one wish - knowing the thread will be flooded with praises and people crying for an update, could you please add the date of update to the topic each time ally you add something, so it's easy to see from the listing? Thanks!

Also just checked the water block stuff and am wondering if I should be crazy inspired or just leave the hobby, knowing I'll never make anything as pretty :D

Needless to say, keeping an eye on this.

18. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I must admit, I did get a little giddy when I saw the next project was starting :) Glad to see your entering the mad world of water cooling Attila :D

19. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Attila Goes water :D

/follow :D!

20. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Great to see another project underway Atilla! Love your work, and not meaning to be a party-pooper, but why not simply use the blue cover block in your sketchup over the GPU to cover a koolance gpu-220 or Swiftech MCW80 gpu only block? I love your work, but I can't see a simple labyrinth/snake type design working as well as commercially available blocks.
    Watercooling blocks have evolved away from those types of designs as they don't work very well compared to impingement plate & microfin/micropin blocks, and need high flow to perform well.