Other Transfering money at a bricks and mortar bank branch?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ljs, 7 May 2015.

1. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Anyone know if they do that?

I've had issues with my online banking and am now locked out (again). The bank app works perfectly except it won't let me pay anyone who is not already in my contacts list.

Is this something branch outlets can facilitate if I were to stroll in there with someones bank details?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I've never had any problems doing it in-branch before... Though ultimately it depends on the bank involved...

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

The banks may be pretty rubbish, but they're not quite that bad yet, thankfully. Should have no problems doing so. Usually they can do everything the apps/online interfaces can plus more and quicker, although that depends on the queue tbh.

4. Strudul

Strudul ~

Alternatively, you should be able to do it over the phone.

Might have to deal with a bit of automation, but it's usually pretty painless.

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Sounds like your with Santander :worried: lol I never get that shite with Barclay

Your local should be able to help just make sure you take loads of ID etc with you may not need it but just in case.

6. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Ok, thanks guys. It's just that I've never had to do it and I've only ever gone into a branch a few times in the last decade!

I had an account with them a few years ago (business because they were the only one with no fees) and I would never use them again!

7. Scroome

Scroome Modder

If it's to a personal account, ask to send via Faster payments. Don't let them sell you any waffle about a CHAPS payment.

Given, CHAPS is real time settlement, but faster payments is free and will almost always credit the beneficiary within an hour.

As long as you're 100% confident you have the correct account details, you're good to go :)

8. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Thanks for the tip - I'll try and remember when I need to.

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

yeah BACS is the way to go, it's there [pretty much] immediately...

10. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Actually, BACS is the three day method that most employers like to use.

Faster payments was built using a similar method to BACS, but it's a different method entirely.

I actually helped build the faster payments system, back in the day :)

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Branches should be able to do everything the online systems can, and more. They might give you a bit of hassle and try and usher you to their online systems, but they should be able to do it.

WHY DIDN'T YOU DO IT SOONER?! Also: WHY DIDN'T YOU KILL CHEQUES WHILE YOU WERE AT IT?!

:D.

12. BigM2006

BigM2006 What's a Dremel?

I was having a similar issue, trying to pay the deposit for my house to my solicitor.
    Online banking wouldn't let me send it to a new contact, went into local branch.

Had some issues with identifying myself for the anti-fraud and anti-money laundering stuff, but passport and drivers license was sufficient.

13. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Oh I Did.......IT WAS THE OLD ONES

Seriously though, that was the case. I commissioned the end project for cheques. Back in 2010 we agreed a decommission date for cheques in 2018. The older generations complained that it was too soon.......sooo we changed the date to 2022.

But NO, that was still not good enough, so under pressure from those fearful of change, we put the system on permanent hold :eyebrow:

Despite many easy to use alternatives suggested (which we were offering free to the elderly) we still got rejected.....

PROGRESS!

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

We nearly got caught out recently when transferring money to the solicitor, (buying a house) did the transfer online with RBS and it showed up as successful, however got a call the next day whilst at work to state the payment had been placed on hold and to confirm it wasn't a fraudulent transaction.

Three things wrong with the process:
    1. It showed up as a successful transaction
    2. They waited a full day to get in touch
    3. They called with the caller ID hidden

If I had ignored the call there was a chance we would have missed the transfer deadline.

When we complained they said we should have done it in branch, suffice to say we now bank with the Clydesdale Bank.